5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2011 9:55 AM by JimHess-ra2Osl RSS

Can't convert  NEF to RAW

AJDA123456789

I am trying to convert my NEF files using the DNG converter. When I open the converter and select the folder an error box comes up with:

'The sorce folder does not contain any supported camera raw files'

The files are indeed there, I have used the converter for a few years now and never encountered any problems like this. My camera is and has always been compatable with the software.

Can anyone provide any solutions?

• 1. Re: Can't convert  NEF to RAW
          JimHess-ra2Osl Community Member

What camera?

What operating system?

What version of the DNG converter?

Did this problem just start?
          • 2. Re: Can't convert  NEF to RAW
            AJDA123456789 Community Member

Nikon D40x

Windows XP

I tried my old version first: must have been 4 or 5, when I didn't work I upgraded to the latest 6.2

I've never had this problem before I haven't used DnG for a few months or so but I've never encountered as I said this has never happened before.

• 3. Re: Can't convert  NEF to RAW

I really don't know what to tell you.  That just doesn't sound right.  What version of Photoshop are you using?  If you have native support for your NEF files can you convert to DNG using Photoshop or Lightroom?  I'm still not convinced converting to DNG is all that advantageous anyway.

• 4. Re: Can't convert  NEF to RAW
                AJDA123456789 Community Member

I'm using CS2. My method for converting the files is to open up the DnG converter then select the folder. (as is explained in the readme) I've tried opening the files seperatly in photoshop and Bridge, neither works. However in bridge the NEF files are refered to as Raw files, so they should in theory convert, since they ARE there.

I didn't realise that it's possible to convert NEF to DNG through photoshop instead of using the DnG converter in its basic programe. How would I go about this?

• 5. Re: Can't convert  NEF to RAW

I don't know if your camera was supported in Photoshop CS2. In order to convert to DNG it is first necessary to load the images into ACR and then use the "Save" option to create the DNG files. One other thing you might try is to open the folder of NEF files in Windows Explorer and highlight all of them and drag them onto the DNG Converter icon. That works for me in Windows. I know I doesn't work on the Mac. Anyway, give that a try and see if it works.