4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2011 5:56 AM by nealeh

Can't save and export to AVi format

pfpressel

I am trying to send a video to Facebook but it says wrong format as PRE.  So I

looked at the Create pure AVi project- when I click on the timeline and then go to File, EXport is

greyed out so I can't use it.  What am I doing wrong?  I have files saved on a secondary drive with 1 Terabyte of space,1st hard drive only has about 7 gig of space.

Pam

• 1. Re: Can't save and export to AVi format
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Pam,

What version of PrE are you using?

Export was changed drastically with PrE 7. Almost every function, that used to appear under Export, has been moved to the Share Tab.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't save and export to AVi format
            pfpressel Level 1

Thanks Bill, I must say, I have gotten so much help from you guys!

I have version 8 but in Steve's book on page 212 it

describes the solution.  I'll look more closely at the share tab.  I have defragmented, cleared space, updated, all the directions given and still can't get more than 7 gigs on my hard drivie- (80Gig) The second drive has 1 Tb.  Can I just move Premiere to that drive or do I still need to use the main hard drive.

• 3. Re: Can't save and export to AVi format
              the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE really likes to be on the C:\ drive, but your Projects, the Assets and Scratch Disks can be located elsewhere. At least one contributor here, Neale, has installed PrE onto another physical HDD, and I do not recall his having any issues, so maybe he can comment on that. My rec. is for what PrE "likes" to have, and some users have encountered issues.

If you have linked everything to a Project on C:\ (Assets, etc.), when you move things, PrE will ask, "Where is file _____?" Be prepared to link to the first "missing" Asset in that folder. If you do this, I strongly recommend making a Copy of ALL folders, complete with their structure, to make the semi-autio linking as easy, as is possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can't save and export to AVi format
                nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

At least one contributor here, Neale, has installed PrE onto another physical HDD, and I do not recall his having any issues, so maybe he can comment on that.

My PC has two hard disks. At the system level (as set by the supplier) my first physical hard disk is my data disk. My second has three partitions

• P1 contains Windows 7 64-bit
                • P2 - Vista 32-bit
                • P3 (my E: drive) Applications.

So my PRE9 is installed on the third partition of my second hard disk, and works fine. Note though that others have experienced running problems with the installation of PRE9 on anything other than their C: drive and performance issues if installed on a multi-partitioned drive.

Also be aware that you cannot just copy the application directory from, say, your C: drive to D: and expect it to work. If that is what you want to do you should first uninstall PRE9 (including additional material) and reinstall.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children