4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 8:20 PM by afsnkb123

Premiere Elements 9 Speed

afsnkb123

Why is PE9 so much faster (all aspects - viewing, FX, rendering, etc.) on my puny Macbook Air (only 2GB ram, Core 2 Duo) than on my hi-power PC (Quad Core, 8GB ram, 7200 HD, Win7 64 bit)? Maybe the SSD on the Mac? I am not interested in starting a PC vs Mac war - I am new to Macs and don't understand the BIG speed difference.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Speed
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What sort of benchmarking are you using?

How great is the difference for these benchmarks?

What are the full details of the I/O sub-system on each computer?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Speed
            afsnkb123 Level 1

What sort of benchmarking are you using?

My eyes and brain.

How great is the difference for these benchmarks?

Approximately 1/3 faster with the Mac.

What are the full details of the I/O sub-system on each computer?

If I understand this question, it is answered in my first post (internal HDD on the PC, internal SSD on the Mac).

I'm not trying to be a smart-@ss with these answers, I just enjoy humor (and didn't do any formal, technical tests).

Assuming I'm telling the truth (which I am), no other details are pertinent.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Speed
              the_wine_snob Level 9

So, both computers only have a single HDD?

What is the difference in the running processes and programs on the PC vs the Mac. If the PC is from Dell, HP, Gateway, et al, it is likely heavily bogged down with tons of bloatware, and that could easily account for a 50% difference in performance, even with greater hardware resources.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Speed
                afsnkb123 Level 1

Yes, one HD each, although, like I said, the Mac has a SSD (which is probably what's making the difference - it boots OS X and all background progs in 7 seconds; shuts down in 2 seconds!).

The PC is a Dell XPS 8100. The first thing I do with each new PC is format the HD and install only what is NECESSARY (this one is not connected to the Internet, so I don't even have a firewall or antivirus running on it). The Mac has a few extra background processes running (quasi firewall, a screen capture prog, a clipboard util, etc.).

Thanks