5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 7:23 PM by Panzervuagon

I can't export uncompressed videos

Panzervuagon

I'm trying to export my videos as uncompressed AVIs so I can compress them on a seperate encoder, H.264, so I can put them on youtube and retain high quality videos.  However, every time I try to do this, once it's finished exporting, I click the video to test it and I only get the audio.  I doesn't matter how big or small the video is or what's on it, whenever I try to export an uncompressed video, I lose the actual video in the process.

So is there a way to fix this? Or if not, is there a way I can export the video without the enormous loss in quality I get whenever I do an AVI export? Thanks

• 1. Re: I can't export uncompressed videos
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          export my videos as uncompressed AVIs

What sort of "uncompressed AVI?" There are several options in Premiere.

I click the video to test it and I only get the audio.

With what player?

is there a way I can export the video without the enormous loss in quality I get whenever I do an AVI export?

If you're going to YouTube, select H.264 as the Format, and use the relevant YouTube preset. Or are you not telling us everything, and you're using the trial?

• 2. Re: I can't export uncompressed videos
            Panzervuagon Level 1

sorry I wasn't being very specific.  When I said uncompressed AVI, I mean the videos were orignially AVIs and I simply wanted them to be returned as the raw footage but in the reorganized, edited form I put them in.  Like rearanging the videos without having to encode them again and deal with the loss of quality.  Virtual Dub does this but it's harder to work with and more limited than premiere pro. 

I tried to use several players to play the AVI after I exported, Windows Media Player, VLC, and Virtual Dub.  It only appeared in Virtual Dub so I figured I could just encode it through there but it wasn't able to. 

I do own Premeire Pro, but I bought it pretty recently and I'm still not too good with it yet.  (I've been working with Pinnacle for some time and got tired of it)

I'll try exporting through the H.264 format and see how it comes out.

• 3. Re: I can't export uncompressed videos
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Don't choose the Uncompressed AVI option.  That is only for use if you have the AJA hardware installed.  Instead choose Microsoft AVI, and under Codec choose None.

• 4. Re: I can't export uncompressed videos
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                sorry I wasn't being very specific.  When I said uncompressed AVI, I mean the videos were orignially AVIs and I simply wanted them to be returned as the raw footage but in the reorganized, edited form I put them in.  Like rearanging the videos without having to encode them again and deal with the loss of quality.  Virtual Dub does this but it's harder to work with and more limited than premiere pro. 

Still not specific enough. There are two ways of exporting an uncompressed AVI from Premiere Pro: you can set the Format as Uncompressed Microsoft AVI (which you shouldn't; that's only for AJA hardware), or you can set the Format to Microsoft AVI, and then select "None" from the codec dropdown. It's the latter than you want to do.

You might want to look into the Lagarith Lossless Video Codec or the Ut Video Codec Suite; both are free visually lossless codecs that will be smaller than uncompressed. They'll appear as codec options under Microsoft AVI. Lagarith installs both x86 and x64 (required for CS5) versions; for Ut, you need to install both the 32-bit and 64-bit packages.

• 5. Re: I can't export uncompressed videos
                  Panzervuagon Level 1

Alright, thanks guys, I'll do that.