7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2011 9:51 AM by alykat344@live.com

Read out loud feature

alykat344@live.com

My husband is legally blind and it is difficult

for him to read long texts on the computer, I got Text Aloud for

him but it really isn't that great as it reads the page numbers and

all other erroneous things. I know that Adobe Reader has a Read

out loud function but I cannot get it to work. I click on View, and

then click on Read out Loud, but nothing happens. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Read out loud feature
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of Reader? What OS? Have you tried different files. PDF files that are scans of text only contain pictures of text. Those pdf file cannot be Read Out Loud.

• 2. Re: Read out loud feature
            Anup_K Adobe Employee

Can you try after disabling "protected mode" in Reader ("view -> preferences -> general -> enable protected mode at startup")?

Thanks.

- Anup

• 3. Re: Read out loud feature
              alykat344@live.com Level 1

I have the free Adobe Reader X, my computer has Windows 7 Home Basic, and I have tried several different files. I get a box around the first paragraph but you hear nothing and nothing else happens. I am at a loss.

• 4. Re: Read out loud feature

Hello Anup -

I tried that several times and still nothing happens.

Thanks,

Laura Johnson

• 5. Re: Read out loud feature
                  MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I doubt it will help, but you can try to update to Reader X.0.1. Is there any chance you have other software that is capable of reading what is on the screen that might be interfering with Reader?

• 6. Re: Read out loud feature
                    JethroR11

Dear alykat344

I too have a vision deficiency and need all the help I can find, I Use Speech recognition And TTS to read some documents and control the apps.

While I'm not a techspert with Adobe ReaderX nor do I represent the company, may I make some suggestions as to the problem with The Read Out Loud feature.

On my Operating system Win 7 Pro 64, I had this same fault, through experimentation I dicsovered that when Speech Recognition was enabled in windows 7, Adobe Reader X would open and show a fault dialogue box ( saying that there was: The exception Unknown Software Exception (0xc000710) Occurred in the Application Located at 0xc77efa2890. (Click OK to Terminate.) (AcroRd32.exe).

AcroRd32 Application Error.jpg

I temporarily Deactivated Speech Recognition before opening the Reader Program again, and then reactivated Speech Recognition, accepted the request to tag the doc for reading ( as shown below) and Voila the doc is read and audible.

What I have observed caused me to try opening the PDF document again, activating the Read Out Loud feature from the VIEW menu and again from VIEW menu click on read document either Page Only or Whole Document, And to my surprise the Read Out Loud function Worked.

The other thing I tried was to Open the PDF document first, without (Speech Recognition) Meaning Deactivate it by closing it from the Desktop, Then once the PDF is opened restart Speech Recognition, a new dialogue will open with the Heading in the Banner, (Reading Untagged Document) You must click  "Start" for the reading tags to be applied and then you can go ahead and use the Read Out Loud function as normal.

Reading Untagged Document.jpg

The above picture shows the settings that I use when the dialogue opens, you may wish to select different options here (ie: Reading mode options, Reading order, and wether to show this dialogue again, I leave this one unchecked, so that if there are any issues, changes can always be made when next opened.)

("But You must do this process for each subsequent PDF opened, and every time you use Adobe ReaderX, because the error that causes it will reoccur and the ROL function will fail")

As I said I am not an expert in this area , but you may give this a try, to see if it works for you.

Regards JethroR11

• 7. Re: Read out loud feature

I have Text Aloud software downloaded on my computer, but I have disabled it. I just reinstalled Adobe X, so I don't know maybe that will help. I'll just keep trying. Thank you.

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:04:53 -0600

To: alykat344@live.com

Subject: Read out loud feature

I doubt it will help, but you can try to update to Reader X.0.1. Is there any chance you have other software that is capable of reading what is on the screen that might be interfering with Reader?

>