3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2011 1:51 PM by jakyhot

cannot load project files

jakyhot

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem loading after effects CS5 project files;

when I'm done with my composition, I save it as .aep file. but when I load this file, all I get is a folder named after my project that has all the elements but when I drag it to the timeline I only see the elements stacked without retaining the placement in the timeline, order, replications (if found), keyframes, effects, etc.....

oddly though, when I play the timeline, the animations and effects appear but I cannot edit them

there was only once that a project was loading all the elements correctly, but after a couple of times it said something like "cannot find log file for the project" then when I opnened it it was the same as above though I didn't move or delete anything.

any help?

thanks

• 1. Re: cannot load project files
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

jakyhot wrote:

when I'm done with my composition, I save it as .aep file. but when I load this file, all I get is a folder named after my project that has all the elements...

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Where are you saving the project file?  Is the file path different from that of your footage?

Then, in AE, you don't "load" a project file.  You OPEN a project file.  When it opens, you see the footage you've IMPORTED into the project, along with the AE comps you've made,  prior to saving it.

jakyhot wrote:

when I drag it to the timeline I only see the elements stacked without retaining the placement in the timeline, order, replications (if found), keyframes, effects, etc.....

By "it", do you mean the project file, or something else?  I can't grasp what you're actually doing.

Something tells me you may have had some Photoshop experience previously, and you expect AE to work the way Photoshop does.  I also get the feeling you're trying to use AE intuitively, based on that photoshop experience. 

That's a recipe for disaster, plain and simple.  You'll end up baffled and frustrated, missing all the features AE provides, and that's a shame.  You really need to begin at the beginning:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

...and if you happen to have a little extra cash, about as much as the purchase price of a video game, here's something much, much better:

http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

If this assumption about your experience is wrong, you should sing out.  The problem then becomes one of not knowing the proper AE Lingo, and you're simply speaking Swahili to a bunch of Indonesians; confusion reigns in such a situation.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: cannot load project files
            jakyhot Level 1

Where are you saving the project file?  Is the file path different from that of your footage?

Then, in AE, you don't "load" a project file.  You OPEN a project file.  When it opens, you see the footage you've IMPORTED into the project, along with the AE comps you've made,  prior to saving it.

thanks a lot sir for your reply.

I tried to open the the project file instead of loading it and it worked just fine but I don't really get the point why loading wouldn't work.

but does it really matter if my footage was in the same directory where I save my project file?

Something tells me you may have had some Photoshop experience previously, and you expect AE to work the way Photoshop does.  I also get the feeling you're trying to use AE intuitively, based on that photoshop experience.

exactly you are right, I'm used to using photoshop and I tried to handle project files the same way.

really appreciate your help have a great day

• 3. Re: cannot load project files
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

jakyhot wrote:

but does it really matter if my footage was in the same directory where I save my project file?

No, it does not.  I was just trying to figure out what was going on, and not having much success.

Remember when you first started using Photoshop, and you kept asking yourself, "How do people get anything DONE with this program?"

When learning AE, it's same kind of fun all over again!  So pay close attention to those links: they'll save you a lot of frustration.