7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2011 8:16 AM by John T Smith

AVCHD and Region confusion.

Ted Smith Level 3

Continuing problem of PE9 Blue Ray HD project not playing in my Pioneer player -

( The disk plays perfectly in my computer and old a Panasonic player.)

Pioneer say it should play it and suggest PE9 is the problem. My player says the disk is "Incompatable disk format"

I wanted to try copying the M2TS file created in the disk's Stream folder to a DVD and try to play it as a AVCHD disk (that the player is also supposed to play).

Problem is how are the folders arranged on a 'AVCHD' DVD disk and are there any other files needed to get the player to recognise it?

Are AVCHD disk folders the same as a BD disk or a normal DVD or something different ?

Region confusion (in my mind at least)

Would AVCHD disks be region specific?

On speaking to the store where I bought the BD player, they said it would be locked to BD region 2 (Europe & Australia) and they found that region specific BD players will only play a disk made for their region and can't play region free disks - something I find hard to believe.

If this is the case then maybe my disk above is region free or region 1? This may explain why it plays in the Panasonic.

Also what is the situation regarding the 'region' of my computer BD burner?  (LG brand)

I was told by the computer supplier they were region free but maybe it is stuck in USA. I haven't played a commercial BD disk in it yet.

Does the BD burner in my computer have to be set to my region too in some way or is the recording region a function of the burning software?

Or can I burn for a particular region in PE9? M2TS video is from a PAL area sony HD camera.

Any comments?

• 1. Re: AVCHD and Region confusion.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Home-burned DVDs and BluRay discs are not region specific -- so that should not be an issue. But do make sure your player can play H.264 video before you burn your BluRay to that format.

Pioneer and Sony discs players are both notorious for not being able to play home-burned discs. They've both improved in the past couple of years, but still have a nasty reputation for being incompatible with burned discs.

That said, make sure you always use a quality brand of disc (Verbatim, Maxell, TayoYuden -- never Memorex) and that you never burn at faster than 4x and you'll minimize the likelihood of problems playing on even these brands of disc players.

Playback issues are virtually never related to the software that created them.

Try your disc out on a friend's disc player and it will likely play with no problems.

• 2. Re: AVCHD and Region confusion.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, burned discs cannot have either Region Codes, or Copy Protection. Those are only for commercially replicated discs.

Now, one does set the TV Type, PAL or NTSC, with the Project and from the source material, but it sounds as though you have done that correctly alredy.

For a little more background on playability on set-top players, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: AVCHD and Region confusion.
              Ted Smith Level 3

Thanks

Actually I bought the player because of the excellent CD audio reproduction  - far better than most and as good as a $1000 CD player

Regions

However my LG computer disk burner says it is region specific although I have not set it to any region yet as I never use it for 'entertainment' purposes..

Does this mean it can still produce a proper region free burnt disk?

If I set it to my region, could I still produce a region free BD disk that would play in USA later on?

H264

When playing  H264 video as Steve suggested, I can play the M2TS file that is burnt on the disk in the computer using Windows media player to view it.

Does this represent "playing  H264 video" OK?

Format

If the video on the disk is not faulty as such, how can I tell if it is really BDMV or BDMA format that is required by the player? (Which is what Pioneer claim it will play)

Folders

Also how can I tell if PE9 had produced the correct other folders and files therein to get the player to start playing the video? The following is what is on the disk

BDMV (Folder) contains
                  AUXDATA (Folder) Empty

BACKUP  contains
                       index.bdmv  1kb
                      MovieObject.bdmv  1kb
                      BDJO (Folder)
                      CLIPINFO (Folder)
                      JAR (Folder)
                      PLAYLIST (Folder)

BDJO (Folder) Empty  

CLIPINF  (Folder)
                      00000.clpi  27kb

JAR (Folder) Empty

META (Folder) Empty

PLAYLIST (Folder)
                      0000.mpls  1kb

STREAM (Folder)
                      00000.m2ts 6gb

CERTIFICATE (Folder) contains
                  BACKUP (Folder) contains
                      id.bdmv 1kb  

Slower burn

My normal BD burner specs are 10x. To burn another Blue Ray disk at 4x, could I re-import the already produced file from the BD disk and burn it again.

If so can I bypass all the rerendering and recompression that PE9 might do?

How would I slow the burning down to 4x as there doesnt seem to be any setting in PE9 for this that I could see?

If burning speed was the problem, why wouldnt it also affect playing in in a computer or other computer?

Auto Start

When I took the disk to play on a Panasonic, it did not automatically start as  the guy that had the player said usually happens with home made disks  without menus. The play button had to be pressed to start the video.  This again suggests that PE9 has missed something in the burn process.

When I insert the disk into the computer, I dott get the usual menu of choices, it just opens Windows Explorer showing the contents of the folders - almost like it thinks it is a data disk.

Im slowly going mad but havent got there quite yet.

• 4. Re: AVCHD and Region confusion.
                nealeh Level 5

Not having Blu-Ray I can't address all your points but:

Regions

However my LG computer disk burner says it is region specific

That represent the disks it can play. It does not affect disks you write, they will be region free.

H264

When playing  H264 video as Steve suggested, I can play the M2TS file that is burnt on the disk in the computer using Windows media player to view it.

Does this represent "playing  H264 video" OK?

It is the specification of your Pioneer player (not your computer) that is relevant. Does the specification say it can play H.264?

Slower burn

How would I slow the burning down to 4x as there doesnt seem to be any setting in PE9 for this that I could see?

You can't because there is no setting in PRE for burn speed. And, as you cannot burn a BR project to a folder (without buying a virtual burner product), you would need to Share and load your footage into something like Sony DVD Architect 5.0 to create your menus and do the burn at a lower speed.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: AVCHD and Region confusion.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Neale on:

That represents the disks it can play. It does not affect disks you write, they will be region free.

Setting the Region for a DVD/BD is done in the authoring program, and only applies, when one sends the Project to a replication house, usually via DLT. As PrE does not support DLT output to a replication house, Regions do not come into play. Not sure about DVD Architect, but Adobe Encore does support commercial replication via DLT, and if one is doing that, they CAN set Regions, plus also add certain Copy Protection schemes. If one later decides to Burn a DVD/BD, they must remove both Region Codes and also any Copy Protection schemes, or errors will occur.

As for the slow Burns, PrE does not make that easy. For DVD, the workflow is to Burn to Folder, and then use a burning utiltiy, like ImgBurn, which does allow one to set the speed. As pointed out, PrE does not support Burn to Folder for BD (without a workaround involving other programs), so one is limited to the speed that PrE determines from the speed of the media and from the burner. It will choose the fastest possible, based on those data.

A slower burn is best, because the laser has more time to properly form the "pits." The better the pits, the greater the likelihood that the disc will play in the greatest number of players, though there is never any guarantee there, as no set-top player is certified to play ANY burned disc - just stamped, replicated discs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: AVCHD and Region confusion.
                    Ted Smith Level 3

Thanks for clearing up the region confusion in my mind - initially created by conflicting statements by salesmen.

Regarding Codecs.My player says it plays ONLY BDAV/BDMV and the sales people say it should be able to play them OK (No reference to H264)

Does PE9 actually produce a BDAV compatible disk or not?

Is H264 the same as BDAV or is it only "similar"

I have Googled this subject and cant find any info to confirm or deny this although it seems to be inferring that PE9 is not producing standard BDAV as the reason for my problems?.

Re alternate means of burning:-

I notice you can select EITHER H264 or MPEG when saving to a file.

This suggests that you can burn a BD disk with either. Which one is BDAV I wonder? Both??

I have Cyberlink Power2Go. Is it any good for burning?

• 7. Re: AVCHD and Region confusion.
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have one, put a commercial BluRay disc in your computer drive and then use Windows Explorer (or whatever is used on a Mac, if you are on a Mac) to look at the file structure... and the files

Then, use software to analyze the files to see what is on a Hollywood disc

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
                      For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/