17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 9:42 PM by buraihan

V and A1

kdoc2 Level 1

Bonehead question: I don't see what the far left of the timeline V and A1 do. Clearly Video 1 and Audio 1, next to them determine where an insert or overlay goes when an icon is clicked to produce the action. But what's the V and A1 for? And why are they there sometime, and not there other times?

kdoc

• 1. Re: V and A1
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See the screenshots and explanation

here.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: V and A1
            kdoc2 Level 1

I apologize for my denseness in this case. I had found that link before asking the question.

Frankly, it doesn't make sense to me.

"You can map the tracks of a clip in the source monitor to one or more tracks of a sequence...etc" What is that saying? I've read that sentence about 10 times, and it remains obscure. I'm sure you'll explain it, and I'll slap my forehead and say well, duh!

kdoc

• 3. Re: V and A1
              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I've often wondered about the wisdom of this inclusion.  I find that it's a couple of clicks too many  - and, IMHO, totally unneccesary.  I can't see the benefit of having to target the tracks with V and A1 in ADDITION to the capability of selecting the tracks in the more usual way.

From memory, you can't even assign a shortcut key to the action so, if you're a keyboard/shuttle editor, this constant mouse-grabbing is intensly annoying.

• 4. Re: V and A1
                kdoc2 Level 1

Maybe I can be more clear with my question. Let's say that Video 1 and Audio 1 track headers are highlighted.

If I drag a clip from the Project Panel or Source Monitor, it doesn't matter whether Video/Audio1 or 2 is highlighted, or which track V and A1 are on--I can drag the asset anywhere I want (assuming compatibility with mono/stereo etc). If I send an asset to the timeline with a button (Automate to Sequence, or the overlay/insert buttons in the Source Monitor) it will go to the track with the track header highlighted (Vidoe/Audio 1, for example), and will go to the CTI on that timeline.

So my question: what does V and A1 do, the Source Track Indicators? I can move them to track 1 or 2 and that doesn't seem to affect what happens with the above actions. And someimes, A1 has even disappeared?

kdoc

• 5. Re: V and A1
                  Jon-M-Spear Level 4

These are intended to target video and audio tracks.  You can drag them so that they align to any audio or video track.  The idea is that, if you want to overlay or insert audio or video tracks from the project window or source monitor, these determine which tracks the material is placed in when using , and . commands to place it.  They have no affect on placement when dragging material.

The same result in earlier Premiere releases, I seem to remember, was achieved by simply selecting the target track (as you still need to do to make it "active").  My point is that I really cannot see what benefit this method has over the old method.  It just adds mouse clicks.

The reason they sometimes appear/vanish is dependent upon whether you have a piece of source material selected.  If nothing is placed in the source monitor, ready to be dropped into the timeline, they do not appear (I'm saying this from memory).

I wish someone would convince me of their value.

• 6. Re: V and A1
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's a comment from Alex Udell on the bottom of that page that adds some explanation.

• 7. Re: V and A1
                      Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Not really Todd!

I seem to recall that we could do that before in CS4 (or was it CS3?) by just highlighting the track we wanted the material placed on.

• 8. Re: V and A1
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I can drag the asset anywhere I want

You actually can't, at least not in one step.  If you want video on V1 and Audio on A2, then by dragging you'll have to put both on track 1, and after that drag just the audio down to track 2.  Or put both on track 2 and after that drag just the video down to V1.  You can't drag a clip to two different tracks.

But let's say you already have something on V2 and A1, and you definitely don't want to overwrite either.  Using the source track targeting and the Overlay function (instead of dragging), you can add the video to V1 and the audio to A2 in one step.

As for being able to do this in previous versions, in CS3 you could not select more than one track type at a time.  The ability to do so (along with track targeting) was a new feature of CS4, and much needed for those working with P2 media, which normally carries four tracks of mono audio instead of just one track of stereo which was the norm for DV and HDV.

• 9. Re: V and A1
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          You actually can't, at least not in one step.

Yes you can.

When you drag the clip into the timeline, as soon as the video hits the desired track, hit and hold shift and dont let go of the clip,  drag the audio-part to the desired track. Or v.v. applying the audio first and dragging the video to the desired track.

• 10. Re: V and A1
                            kdoc2 Level 1

I think I'm convinced now. Those things are somewhere between useless and confusing. I'd suggest rewriting that Help page. The amount of time saved from using them is sure to be spent in figuring out what they are/do--for the first 5 years of useage  .  Maybe when you get real slick with the program, and edit at lightning speed, they click into being truly useful and timesaving?

kdoc

• 11. Re: V and A1
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I'd suggest rewriting that Help page.

As soon as I saw this thread, I sent a note to the guy responsible for that page and suggested that he do just that. The best way for you to tell the technical writers that kind of thing is to leave a comment on the page itself.

• 12. Re: V and A1
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I think that this video helps to clarify things, too.

• 13. Re: V and A1
                                  kdoc2 Level 1

I think that finally does it for me! I think I've got it. You guys have probably been saying this, but I didn't quite get it. That video makes it clear that V1 and A simply tell you whether there's an audio and/or video track in the clip which  is in the source monitor. Right?

And the added value of the tutorial for me was that one must beware of those damn "holes" appearing when you put an audio in without a video and vice versa, and how to avoid or make them, as desired.

Thanks folks.

kdoc

• 14. Re: V and A1
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Well, they don't simply tell you that.   Such is a useful byproduct of the feature, but their primary purpose is to set which tracks a clip goes on with the Insert or Overlay command.

• 15. Re: V and A1
                                      Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Nope!  You're still not there are you?

They are more than a monitor to inform whether a piece of source material has audio/video tracks.  As an editor, you kinda know that from the project window info.

They enable you to TARGET the tracks.

• 16. Re: V and A1
                                        kdoc2 Level 1

Well, OK, I stand corrected. But it seems to me--and correct me again if I'm wrong--that they target the track for clip placement only if that track is also selected in the header. In effect, it seems--and I think you've said this--that to target a track for clip placement (let's ignore holes appearing in a track/clip for a moment) you really need both the A and V and the Audio 1 and Video 1.

Now which tracks move downstreem after the placement, and just how to use synch  lock and track lock is the next issure, and Rohmer certainly has addressed that.

kdoc

• 17. Re: V and A1
                                          buraihan Level 1

I have to agree with j-fs on this one. The source targeting feels half baked without keyboard shortcuts to support it. By the time you have gone over to the timeline to drag them to the desired tracks you could have just dragged the clips on. I have been trying really hard to edit using keyboard shortcuts and the source monitor recent (mainly because dragging and dropping on the timeline is so laggy on the mac) ; but have been getting equally frustrated with the lack of ripple edit shortcuts and this colvulted targeting system. I manually remapped all of my numeric keys to be able to toggle target tracks on and off only to realise that you are forced to use the mouse with the source targeting.