5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 12:57 PM by GavinFromSeattle

Good MB + RAM + Video Card combination?

GavinFromSeattle

Hello all- I'm preparing to build a Windows system for use with Premiere Pro CS5, and was wondering if you all could help out here. I'm likely to order the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Video Card from newegg as I have a case and power supply. I know what CPU, RAM, and Video Card I'm after, and could use a motherboard reccomendation. Want to make sure everything is compatible and optimized.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

- PNY GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) VCGGTS4501XPB Video Card

- (4GB X 3 for 12GB total) Patriot Signature 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory

Questions:

1. What do you think of these specs? (I have HDDs, and have plans to add two 10,000rpm raptors in striped RAID + storage, etc)

2. What motherboard would you use for this combo?

Thanks,

Gavin

• 1. Re: Good MB + RAM + Video Card combination?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Sounds good.

2. Asus or Gigabyte. Selection depends on the features required.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Good MB + RAM + Video Card combination?
            GavinFromSeattle Level 1

Thanks, sorry I posted in the wrong area- 1st time user here

Any specific moterboard reccos in the $100-ish range that:

1. Can support at least 16GB DDR3 memory
            2. Support Core i7
            3. Have onboard sound
            4. Support GTS 450 (PCI Express 2.0 x16)
            5. Solid BIOS, reliable

Thanks (trying to navigate the jungle of so many options). Looks like you can get Kingston 4 x 4GB for a pretty good price for 16GB total memory...

• 3. Re: Good MB + RAM + Video Card combination?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DDR3 memory works best in sets of 3 (which is why it is called DDR3, not DDR2)

Buy 3x4Gig or 6x4Gig memory

The ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard you buy will be determined by your total requirements... which includes the number of card slots you need

• 4. Re: Good MB + RAM + Video Card combination?
                JEShort01 Level 4

Gavin,

The closest that I could suggest to $100 is a currently available "open box" Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard at Newegg.

Regarding choosing RAM and motherboards, I would strongly advise selecting a motherboard that is not listed by your RAM vendor's site as being compatible with 6 chips installed (i.e. 4GB chips, 24GB total) for either the exact motherboard that you are buying or a similar board by the same vendor.

You can also view "compatible" RAM suggested by the motherboard vendors themselves, but those lists tend to be a lot more limited, especially when we are talking about 24GB RAM configurations.

I did not cross reference the RAM you say you are buying with the Asus Sabertooth x58 that I am suggesting. If they have not been verified together on Kingston's site, you should probably choose some different RAM chips that have. There are lots of choices and compatibility is VERY important for Premiere Pro PCs where new X58 builds either have 12 or 24GB. Most Win7 systems simply do not have or need so much RAM - CS5 however LOVES lots of it.

Jim

• 5. Re: Good MB + RAM + Video Card combination?
                  GavinFromSeattle Level 1

Thanks everyone, VERY helpful! I checked with the RAM manufacturer, validated that their RAM was tested with the MB that I selected (highly rated board) and ordered the following from newegg:

• 1 GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
                  • 1 Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
                  • 1 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T2-24GBRL
                  • 2 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I also picked up another matching 24" 1080p LCD that I TOTALLY love so I'll have two identical displays:

Acer H243Hbmid 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

I'll let you all know how it goes! I'm going to RAID/Stripe the drives, should make for a blazing system!

Thanks,

Gavin