5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 11:08 AM by Aaron.Ottho

Quadro FX 1800 problem - HELP!

Aaron.Ottho

Ive got a quadro fx 1800 with 768MB of vram. This card had been  working perfectly since the launch of Premiere CS5 with mercury hardware  acceleration. Rendering was lightning fast, previews and playing from  the timeline silky smooth. I was a happy video editor. Sure I needed to  add my card to the supported cuda card list but I never had any problems  at all.

However recently I updated premiere from 5 to 5.03,  and my card stopped working. Performance is now terrible, with long  renders and stuttery playback. I figured I just needed to re-add my card  to the txt file. But that didnt solve the problem. Confused I checked  the output of gpusniffer.exe. It said that my card was being rejected  because it didn't have the required 765MB of memory (even though my card  has that much, it only showed 745M "available")

So I tried to install new nvidia drivers *no luck*

So I then tried to replace GPUsniffer with and older file so I could still maybe use the updates *no luck*

Resorting  to a complete uninstall of premiere and reinstalling without applying  updates *no luck* (that this didnt work BAFFLED me)

Calling adobe support *no luck* they basically  told me to buy a new card. (not happy with that advice considering I  bought this one this year and it stretched our budget to get it) They also tried re-applying the updates, clean install of nvidia drivers and deleting my user profile.

I then tried to find a way to use less memory on my card or fake higher memory *no luck*

Searching for a registry entry or file where that 765MB limit is specified *no luck*

Talked to adobe support on twitter and they asked me to  post here. Please help! I'd love to get this back to normal so I can use  my card and get productivly editing again!

• 1. Re: Quadro FX 1800 problem - HELP!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

How you got this card to use hardware MPE in the first place is a mystery to me, since it requires at least 896 MB of VRAM (that is including the Windows overhead for the GUI). It will not work because of lack of VRAM. EOS.

• 2. Re: Quadro FX 1800 problem - HELP!
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I would advise you to do is pick up a ~$150 GTX 550Ti 1 GB card which will put you back into business and get rid of your FX 1800 card on eBay possibly for much more than you spend for a new 2nd generation Fermi card which has 3 times as many CUDA cores as your card.

• 3. Re: Quadro FX 1800 problem - HELP!
              Aaron.Ottho Level 1

I imagine that they either didn't use to enforce the RAM limit or had  a lower limit. Or they used to only look at total RAM and not available  RAM.

Why a fresh install didn't give me the old requirements is what confuses me most.

I've  heard of other FX 1800 users being able to use the card, which is why I  bought it in the first place. From what I've seen at other forums no  other FX 1800 user has been able to find a solution to this and all  encountered the same problem with recent updates. I imagine most give up  and buy a card.

Its silly to me to throw away a  perfectly functional card or to disable use arbritrarily for something  thats been working fine. I've got all these CUDA cores sitting there  that could speed things up immensly, and premiere just ignores it  because I might not have enough ram for *some* projects? (Red or 2K  footage that I will never actually use) for the 720p footage I am  working with 768mb is more than enough.

• 4. Re: Quadro FX 1800 problem - HELP!
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Aaron.Ottho wrote:

I've got all these CUDA cores sitting there  that could speed things up immensly, and premiere just ignores it  because I might not have enough ram for *some* projects?

Do you realize that you only have 64 CUDA cores?  The lowest end GTX 550 Ti of this new series has 192 cores and the GTX 580 has 512 CUDA cores

Edited

By the way if you look at our 300 plus PPBM5 Benchmark Results you will not find one FX1800 listed.

• 5. Re: Quadro FX 1800 problem - HELP!
                  Aaron.Ottho Level 1

Yes I do realize that it has fewer cores.

But I had amazing performance even with those few cores. And I have not been able to get permission to buy a new card from the company because this one is so new. Its very frustrating.