7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2011 8:21 AM by Rick Gerard

AE Motion Path for 3D Repousse Text?

lbsimpson Level 1

Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of reading and watchign tutorials, and at this point I'm not sure what I would like to do is possible.  Perhaps someone here can confirm one way or the other.

Basically what I'm attempting to do is, take a Photoshop CS5 repousse text layer and animate it along a path drawn in After Effects.  I've been succesful animating text created in AE along a moving path, but haven't gotten the above to work yet.

Thoughts? Is it possible to animate 3D text?

Thanks!

Lindsay

• 1. Re: AE Motion Path for 3D Repousse Text?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If I'm picturing correctly what you're asking, the answer is "not easily".

You would need to have a separate Photoshop 3D object layer for each letter if you wanted to animate the letters separately. Because of how demanding the Photoshop 3D object layers are, this would very likely be a tedious process.

If you want to work with extruded 3D text and animate it in After Effects, you're probably better off using the Zaxwerks plug-ins, which add such functionality to After Effects.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AE Motion Path for 3D Repousse Text?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I agree with Todd. You would probably find yourself yelling a lot at the computer and it would be massively unpleasant, even more so as each letter would require its own complementary controller Null layer which not only adds clutter to the timeline but also requires to deal with adjusting the expressions references for each layer. That and of course the little problem of such layers not truly interacting in 3D. Since each letter would be it's own little "world inside a world", incorrect overlap would ruin the illusion. Using otehr tools and plug-ins would definitely be more efficient.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AE Motion Path for 3D Repousse Text?
              lbsimpson Level 1

Thanks for your responses.  Indeed it sounds like going letter by letter would be a frustrating waste of time!  I have taken a quick look at the Zakwerks website and cant' seem to sort out which plug-in would be required to create this animation without going letter by letter.  Also it seems their plug-ins stop at CS4.  Do they have CS5 versions available?

Thanks!

Lindsay

• 4. Re: AE Motion Path for 3D Repousse Text?
                lbsimpson Level 1

Whoops well just answered one of those questions with their product comparison chart.  It seems they do support CS5, but which plug-in would be best for this and similar situations?

Thanks for helping me sort through all this.

Lindsay

• 5. Re: AE Motion Path for 3D Repousse Text?
                  Zaxwerks

Hi Lindsay,  as of this moment our 3D text plug-ins are compatible with CS5 on Windows but the Mac CS5 version won't be available for a few weeks.  To make 3D text follow a path you would need to use the Zaxwerks ProAniimator plug-in.  Each letter can follow a path with many options such as banking, facing the camera, tumbling, etc.  Just to be clear however, the letters would be following a path you set up in ProAnimator, not an AE path.

There are lots of ProAnimator tutorials.  Please take a look at the Video Tutorials pages for a complete list.

Hope that helps,

Zax

• 6. Re: AE Motion Path for 3D Repousse Text?
                    lbsimpson Level 1

Zax,

Thanks for your reponse.  I'm going to take a look at your tutorials and see about making a purchase!

Lindsay

• 7. Re: AE Motion Path for 3D Repousse Text?
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might also want to take a look at Forge Freeform. It comes with CS5 and is one of my favorite tools. You'll find Links to FreeForm tutorials and some example projects in the help files. It's one amazing and under utilized plugin in AE.