8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 7:14 PM by Jim_Simon

Exporting 1080i?

Dario D. Level 1

Is there any way to export 1080i footage and still retain all the fields? I'm experimenting with an AVCHD 1080i60 project, and I can't figure out how to export in a PC-friendly format that actually retains the fields. I'd like to maintain that fluid 60fps playback.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Exporting 1080i?
          jkosmicki Level 2

Sure, just make sure the exported video retains the 1080 pixel height, upper-field first is selected for "field type", and "use frame blending" is unchecked.

• 2. Re: Exporting 1080i?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Possibly.

It seems that choosing an H.264 preset will not keep the interlacing, no matter how you set it.  PP will deinterlace it.  So you'll have to use another format, like MPEG2.

• 3. Re: Exporting 1080i?
              Dario D. Level 1

Thanks for the help. I figured out what the problem was: the Sony A55 (digital camera) doesn't do "true" interlacing, so I was thrown off. It basically does 30fps video, and stashes it in a 60i "wrapper" (a process I've never heard of). In other words, every frame is repeated, like: AABBCCDD, which makes 60fps video look like 30fps.

(To see what I'm talking about, download this raw video, below, and poke around (it's from the Sony A55 review on this page))

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/slt_a55-assets/00001.MTS

I've found a couple people who have caught this as well, and I informed some camera review sites.

• 4. Re: Exporting 1080i?
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                It seems that choosing an H.264 preset will not keep the interlacing, no matter how you set it.  PP will deinterlace it.  So you'll have to use another format, like MPEG2.

How did you come to that conclusion?  I just exported 1080i footage in a 1080i sequence to a 1080i H.264 BD preset, and the exported footage is most definitely interlaced.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Exporting 1080i?
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Possibly.

You can tweak the settings manually to get fields.

Just made a 1920x1080 30 fps upper field and confirmed by MediaInfo.

Edit Jeff just beat me, i used the H.264 format not H.264 BD.

• 6. Re: Exporting 1080i?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    to a 1080i H.264 BD preset

The BD presets using the H.264 codec seem to work.  It's the straight H.264 presets that don't.

Never figured out why.

• 7. Re: Exporting 1080i?
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I just encoded a 1080i sequence to 1080i H.264 (no Blu-ray) and it produced an interlaced H.264 file.  All I had to do was explicitly set the field order to UFF in the Export Settings dialog.  What settings did you use that caused you trouble?

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Exporting 1080i?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

In my case it was DV originals.  The output file simply never came out interlaced, despite setting it for BFF.

If you're game, I'd like to get my hands on some short samples from your system, both an interlaced original, and an interlaced export.