3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 4:35 PM by reteb

Failure installing W7-64 RAID 0 on dynamic disks ?

reteb Level 1

This must be a very basic question but I'm suprised I cannot find any thread in this forum.

BTW : CS5 under Windows 7-64 runs flawlessly on a trial setup with 1 x 7200 rpm disk only.

I am stunned what my system can do (*) even with this inferior ( trial ) disk setup.

However, when trying to install W7 for 3 x 300 GB 10 k Raptors in RAID 0 ( SATA II ports ),  Windows Setup refuses to install.

It says " unable to install on this dynamic volume ".

I was/am under the impression that RAID 0 is only possible on dynamic disks, so I made the Raptors ( on an existing W7-64 installation ) dynamic and set the  the disks in Disk Management as " striped ".

All Raptors are properly recognised as dynamic and striped in Disk Management.

As a cause for the W7 installation failure, a search on the internet learned me that dynamic disks are only useable in the W7 installation that made the disks  dynamic.

This brings me in a Catch 22 situation.

How could I convert the Raptors from basic to dynamic in a W7 installation that is not yet there ?

Obviously I do miss something major.

In PPBM5 I see many R0 configs, how was it done ?

Thanks for any help.

(*) I7 950  @ 4.2 GHz - mobo ASROCK X58 Extreme 6 with onboard RAID controller - 24 GB RAM 1600 - GTX460 MSI  Hawk @ 9.4 GHZ - Cooler Master Pro 1000 W