3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 4:35 PM by reteb

Failure installing W7-64 RAID 0 on dynamic disks ?

reteb

This must be a very basic question but I'm suprised I cannot find any thread in this forum.

BTW : CS5 under Windows 7-64 runs flawlessly on a trial setup with 1 x 7200 rpm disk only.

I am stunned what my system can do (*) even with this inferior ( trial ) disk setup.

However, when trying to install W7 for 3 x 300 GB 10 k Raptors in RAID 0 ( SATA II ports ),  Windows Setup refuses to install.

It says " unable to install on this dynamic volume ".

I was/am under the impression that RAID 0 is only possible on dynamic disks, so I made the Raptors ( on an existing W7-64 installation ) dynamic and set the  the disks in Disk Management as " striped ".

All Raptors are properly recognised as dynamic and striped in Disk Management.

As a cause for the W7 installation failure, a search on the internet learned me that dynamic disks are only useable in the W7 installation that made the disks  dynamic.

This brings me in a Catch 22 situation.

How could I convert the Raptors from basic to dynamic in a W7 installation that is not yet there ?

Obviously I do miss something major.

In PPBM5 I see many R0 configs, how was it done ?

Thanks for any help.

(*) I7 950  @ 4.2 GHz - mobo ASROCK X58 Extreme 6 with onboard RAID controller - 24 GB RAM 1600 - GTX460 MSI  Hawk @ 9.4 GHZ - Cooler Master Pro 1000 W

• 1. Re: Failure installing W7-64 RAID 0 on dynamic disks ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It is generally not advised to raid the boot disk. If you want to raid disks, do so from the BIOS, not from Windows. And don't use dynamic disks, only basic disks.

• 2. Re: Failure installing W7-64 RAID 0 on dynamic disks ?
            JEShort01 Level 4

Retab,

Assuming that your boot drive(s) will be attached to the Intel ICH10R SATA ports on your motherboard, you may be able to simply use Intel's Matrix RAID software to move your single-drive boot drive to a RAID0 setup without even having to reload Windows. I did this once, but my situation was different than yours so you will definitely need to research specifics for Win7 and Intel's current matrix RAID software.

Here's what I can suggest / remember regarding Intel's Matrix RAID :

- I grew a single boot WinXP load to a RAID 0 OS back about 18 months ago and it worked perfectly; this is a one-way street, you cannot go from RAID 0 back to a single drive OS

- this capability of Intel's Matrix RAID software does not seem to be well known, and I have not checked to verify if it works for Win7

- Before Intel's Matrix RAID can see your drives in a way that it can "add drives" (create RAID 0 from single drive) you must add the drives and force "RAID" in the SATA port assignments (i.e. IDE//ACHI/auto-detect/RAID) in your mother board bios settings.

- Backup your system drive before you get this fancy; I would not give this route a 100% chance of success

Here's what I can recall from a recent install of Win7 to a RAID 0 array on fresh empty drives:

- Force RAID for your SATA ports using motherboard bios

- Hit the appropriate key sequence during hard boot where Intel RAID is mentioned

- Configure the RAID

- Reboot with Win7 install in optical drive; load drivers for your RAID first, then complete the Win7 installation

Other thought regarding RAID 0 or single drive for OS... I have used RAID 0 for my OS/Programs partition for over 10 years now and love the speed increase that it provides. I do image backups of my RAID 0 OS/programs partition to my data RAID5 array to provide a secure way to restore my OS if it is ever lost, and fortunately, I've never needed to restore for any need other than changing the drives used for my OS.

Jim

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Failure installing W7-64 RAID 0 on dynamic disks ?
              reteb Level 1

Yep, it works.

My RAID 0 config ( up to now only as a trial with 2 Raptors ( 300GB 10k ) only ( with 2 additional non RAID IDE disks ) with software RAID controller only ) runs flawlessly.

Even all image and clone ( copy ) tests with Acronis seem to be reliable ( for restoring RAID 0 crashes ).

How severely I destroyed purposely the original RAID 0 installation ( programs , OS, formatting the RAID 0 disks,  etc. ) , flawless recovering appeared to be a piece of cake.

I have some more RAID 0 questions.

To prevent contamination of this original subject line I open a new thread for that purpose.

Thanks.