19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 11:38 AM by iT-novative

Mpeg2 rendering issues

iT-novative

Hi,

I have a customer who is using two nearly identical workstations for Adobe Premiere CS5.

Both are running Win7 64bit with 12GB of ram, i7 quadcore cpu and a mix of SSD and HDD drives.

Both are also using the Nvidia GTX graphic cards & CS5 acceleration.

One of these systems also has a Matrox RT.X2 card (which is not used for new project, only for older projects).

The system that has te Matrox card has issues rendering projects as MPEG2 (even though the card is not selected/used in a new project!).

The rendering completes without warnings but playback of the created MPEG2 file shows glitches.

When rendered a second or third time the glitches remain and are located at the exact same timestamp.

When the part of the project that has issues is imported into a new project file the rendering is fine.

The problem occurs mostly in larger projects (several minutes).

Also rendering to FLV is just fine...

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Remove the Matrox.  Then rebuild from scratch without it.

• 2. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
            iT-novative Level 1

I am sorry, but I made a mistake.

It's actually the other way around, the system WITH the Matrox card renders MPEG2 without issues, the system without has glitches.

Maybe the setup of the Matrox RT X2 card replaces the MPEG2 codec with a better more stable version?

• 3. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Unlikely.  If that were true, there would be far more complaints like yours here.  But their just aren't.

Something else is likely the cause.

• 4. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                iT-novative Level 1

Well I was able to do some more testing yesterday.

We found that when an export to MPEG2 shows glitches it can be resolved by changing the timeline of the project (by shortening or lengthening the clip that shows glitches by one or two frames).

When a glitch occurs it will always keep on occuring no matter how many times its rendered and will always be in the exact same frame in the timeline.

We tried to remove al cached mediafiles (and force Premiere to reload) but this has no effect, glitches will still be present in the exact same locations.

The glitches occur in every MPEG2 export setting (resolution etc.)

However choosing 2 pass / highest rendering quality will sometimes reduce the amount of glitches.

When exported to other formats like FLV or H264 the video quality is flawless, without any errors....

When we export a project to MPEG2 there are glitches when played back using Windows Media Player or even Cyberlink PowerDVD.

However when we import the MPEG2 file back into Premiere CS5 the playback from within CS5 is fine.

Looks like Premiere adds something to the movieclip that cannot be decoded by most players.....

Any thoughts?

• 5. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                  JEShort01 Level 4

This is not a solution, but check out this thread with others reporting some MPEG2 playback glitches that may have something in common with your non-Maxtrox box:

Exported to Mpeg files have video burps

• 6. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Any thoughts?

This doesn't quite sound the same as the 'video burps' as reported by another.  I've just not encountered this issue myself, nor do I recall others here reporting about it.

Can you upload a clip with the glitch?

• 7. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I would test the SSD to see if it has any performance glitches.  Maybe it is not supporting TRIM

• 8. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                        JEShort01 Level 4

Bill,

I understand his "glitches" to be during playback, so TRIM should not be a factor (TRIM effects writes, not reads).

Jim

• 9. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                          iT-novative Level 1

@Jim

The video burps as described in the other topic are not the same problem however in reply's and especially the last 3 reply's there are users with the exact same issue which they weren't able to resolve (but their conclusion is that the problem is due to the CS5 MPEG2 codec).

I will contact my customer to see if we can upload a sample.

• 10. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                            iT-novative Level 1

@Bill

I don't think the issue is hardware related (because the playback of the rendered MPEG2 file is fine when I import it back into CS5 after rendering) but I did move the Adobe cache files from SSD to HDD and this did not have any effect. Also the glitches are always in the exact same location in the time frame when rendered again, this probably wouldn't be the case if there was a hardware issue or task running in the background of Windows

• 11. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              their conclusion is that the problem is due to the CS5 MPEG2 codec

A conclusion that so far I find lacking in evidence.  A problem with the codec would show up for everyone.

• 12. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                                Andy Urtu Level 1

When you say MPG2, are you using MPG2 presets or MPG2-DVD presets?

MPG2

In MPG2 are you using MPG1 layer I or Layer II Or dolby Digital?

What are your audio settings?

What are you multiplexing settings?

Sound like it might be a interleave or multiplex issue.

I create tons of MPG2-DVD files every day 0 problems.  But I am using MPG2-DVD and export M2v and PCM in separate files.

• 13. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                                  iT-novative Level 1

@Andy,

We are using the MPEG2 settings (not MPEG2 DVD).

Tried them all, to avail.

They all show errors.

However creating M2V with a separated audio file results in a clip without any errors.

Example of used MPEG2 settings (save the image to see clear image);

mpeg2rendersettings.jpg

• 14. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

How are you planning to deliver the video to your client(s)?

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                                      iT-novative Level 1

Jeff,

That varies.

The MPEG2 files are used for archiving. That's why it's important that the archived video clips have good quality because the source video material will be deleted.

• 16. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                                        The MPEG2 files are used for archiving. That's why it's important that the archived video clips have good quality because the source video material will be deleted.

It would be better to use uncompressed, Lagarith or UT for archiving, instead of a very lossy MPEG2.  The best solution is however to keep the source material, since there is no conversion to another format and less space requirements than with uncompressed.

• 17. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Harm is correct.  Originals are best.  If you can't keep the originals then uncompressed AVI or lossless AVI (Lagarith) is next best.  For cross-platform use, Quicktime Photo-JPEG at max quality is a good choice.

If you absolutely have to have MPEG2, then 4:2:2 MPEG2 I-frame only is the best option.  Here are the settings I'd use:

MPEG2IframeSettings.png

• 18. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                                            JEShort01 Level 4

I'm frustruated for you, iT-novative; it seems the "help" you are getting here is largely it's not broken and don't use MPEG because... This is your customer and if they want to export to MPEG2, I would think that you are on the right track to try and help them out!

This is a forum; let's try to help each other with their requests and their problems.

For what it is worth, using one of my own projects (I chose a 4 layer AVCHD PIP):

- I can duplicate "glitches" using export from PPro CS5 to MPEG2 (NTSC 29.97) and playing back using Windows Media Player

- "Glitched" version seems to playback cleanly when imported back into a timeline and played from PPro

- Using AME instead of PPro producing a similar format MPEG2 appears to produce a glitch free MPEG2; I suggest you use this as a work around until something is this area is found and fixed.

Jim

• 19. Re: Mpeg2 rendering issues
                                              iT-novative Level 1

Hi Jim and others,

True, I have told my customer to use archiving as H264 / burning to DVD as a work around. Research hours aren't free either so putting in even more research to try and find a solution would simply become to expensive.

But indeed, this doesn't solve the issue at hand.

Thank you Jim, for trying to recreate the problem.
                                              I wil have my customer try encoding using AME. Will post back if this works!

Maybe Adobe will do something in the near future that can solve this strange issue....