8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 9:23 AM by Jim_Simon

Premiere Wont Add AE Comp to Timeline

inertiahz

Hi, I am using CS5 Master Collection and in my current project I have Premiere sequence which I have imported into After Effects via Dynamic Link; I have added some effects etc... Now I am trying to pull the sequence back into Premiere which I have done via Dynamic Link, which imports the composition fine, however it wont allow me to add the composition to the timeline.  It will however play the composition in the source window.

Has anyone else come accross this?  I have tried importing a composition from another After Effects project and that works, so is there some limitations that I am not aware of?

Cheers for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Premiere Wont Add AE Comp to Timeline
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please give the exact steps that you're using. From your description, I think that you might be trying to take some unnecessary steps.

• 2. Re: Premiere Wont Add AE Comp to Timeline
            inertiahz Level 1

Ok so I have some footage at 1920 x 1080p AVCHD; this is imported into Premiere Pro.  I have then edited the footage, simple cuts, no effects.

I have then gone into After Effects and used Dynamic Link to import the Premiere Sequence, in After Effects I have created a composition from the sequence.

I have then turned the sequence into a 3D layer and used a camera to give a camera shake feel; then I put that composition into a new composition which is resized and has some colour correction applied.

I am now trying to import that second composition back into Premiere, which as I say imports fine and plays fine in the source window but wont appear on the timeline, if I drag the imported composition to the new sequence button, it creates the sequence with all the correct settings but wont let me drag the composition onto it.

The reason why I want to bring the video back into Premiere is because I then want to add some screen recording in various places.  I suppose I could go at this a couple of different ways i.e. render the footage from After Effects, or edit video and screen recording in Premiere and then use keyframes to control what the colour correction and camera shake applies to.

To me my method seems logical, its just weird why Premiere wont let me add the composition to the timeline but plays it fine in the source window.

• 3. Re: Premiere Wont Add AE Comp to Timeline
              Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't use DL to go from PP into AE, and then from AE back into the same PP project.

Better to right click on the clips you want to add effects to and choose Replace with After Effects Composition.  When you switch back to PP, the clips will be replaced with an AE comp and any work you've done in AE will just show up.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Wont Add AE Comp to Timeline
                inertiahz Level 1

Thanks for clearing that up for me Jim, seems a shame that you can't fully round trip; maybe something that Adobe might look at in CS6

• 5. Re: Premiere Wont Add AE Comp to Timeline
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not sure it would be possible.  It'd be like holding a mirror up to another mirror.  You end up with infinite mirrors.

The PP sequence reads the AE comp, which is reading the PP sequence, which is reading the AE comp, which is...

You get the idea.

Anyway, the method to do what you want already exists with the Replace command.

• 6. Re: Premiere Wont Add AE Comp to Timeline
                    inertiahz Level 1

I see what you mean; I guess it just bugs me that it works fine in the source window but wont extend that to making another sequence

Anyways as you say about the replace command; I used that earlier to complete my project so instead of complaining about my flawed logic, I shall adjust my workflow

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Premiere Wont Add AE Comp to Timeline
                      SF Bay Video Creative Level 1

This is still the case way out in the future in Aug 2016, where I'm running 2015.2 because I'm not ready to deal with the bugs that have shown up in 2015.3.  Just another Adobe bug ..."If I were a rich man,   " I'd be right back on AVID!!

• 8. Re: Premiere Wont Add AE Comp to Timeline
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

The behavior being discussed here isn't a bug, it's by design, and not likely to ever change.