2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 8:52 AM by the_wine_snob

"Right Graphics card"

Vartiala

Hello Forum,

For the system specified below I am looking for a "NVIDIA based" GeForce graphics card that is fully capable to efficiently co-operate with Premiere Elements 9 (PRE9).

During startup of PRE9 a sniffer is executed which is reading the capabilities of the graphic card.
      But it is not known which of these capabilities are important for PRE9 to run smoothly and quickly.

The DeskTop system consists of :

ASUS P5Q3 motherboard (LGA 775)
      Power supply Z450-12APNF (450W)
      Intel Core (TM)2 DUO E8500 @3.16 GHz
      2x Western Digital 5000AACS-00G8B1 SATA HDD 500 Gb
      2x 1024 Mb Kingston Dual Channel DDR3 RAM @ 667 MHz
      Realtek Audio onboard.
      Windows XP 32 bits, SP2

I had an ASUS EAH3650/SilentMagic/HTDI/512 Mb graphics card, but with the newest ASUS driver (ati8751_winxp32), downloaded from the ASUS site PRE9 sometimes crashed after starting up.
      Also with newer drivers downloaded from the AMD site same problem.

An other issue with this card is that as soon as the ASUS driver is installed (+reboot) then the Windows logbook (if you run the Windows eventvwr) comes up with ACEEventlogs. The ATI related errors mentioned in these logs are not clear to me what is going wrong with the graphic card or driver software.
      Every time the system reboots a new set of ACEEventlog (with about the same info) are added to this logbook.

I have read the list of graphics card types that ADOBE supports, but it don't say not so much about how efficient these cards co-operate with PRE9.

Specification of graphics cards shows a lot of terms for the GPU Engine like
      CUDA Cores,
      Graphics Clock,
      Processor clock,
      Texture Fill Rate.
      Memory specs like
      Memory Clock,
      Memory Bandwidth,
      Memory Interface width,
      Memory size (GDDR5 or DDR3)
      and a lot of other features like
      OpenGL, DirectX etc.

How important are all those specifications for a reliable and quick video editing/rendering?

On which of these specifications do I have to pay special attention?
      For example when I think about the video rendering proces which is executed in the background during video editing?

Or what is the reason that during videoplaying sometimes the movie freezes a moment? It is not always running smooth.

Does it help if I choose GDDR in place of DDR memory type? Or 1024 Mb of memory in place of 256 Mb?
      The limit in possibilities is the DC power the system can deliver. My system power supply can deliver a total of 450 W as mentioned above.
      I prefer a noiseless, passive cooled graphics card, it is not a must, but I realise that this wish limits my choice in cards as far as performance is concerned.
      I do not use the system for playing heavy games. No overclocking etc.

Sometimes a train simulator is used (number of frames/sec important to get a smooth course).

I hope you can give me some indications to consider which card it will be.
      Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: "Right Graphics card"
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements is not terribly graphics card intensive. In fact, you can get away with a relatively low-end (125 or 250 meg) graphics card. Virtually any ATI or nVidia card will do. Conflicts with cards are really pretty rare.

Personally, I'd recommend a card capable of pixel shading so that you can take advantage of some advanced graphic effects.

But I wouldn't over-shop this. As I've said, graphics cards are the least likely element to give you problems. (More problematic are 64-bit versions of Windows 7!)

Just get a good, fast processor (ideally a quad core or i7) and a good RAM load.

• 2. Re: "Right Graphics card"
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve. The most important aspect of the video card, for use with PrE is that it has constantly updated drivers. Both ATI/AMD and nVidia do a very good job in this resepect. Unfortunately, embedded Intel graphics chips do not have even decent driver support. Those are better for general computing, where one is only browsing the Web, doing some e-mails, wordprocessing and spreadsheets - not for doing video editing. They can also fall flat, because of the driver support with image editing, with programs, like PS and PSE.

Otherwise, about any current ATI/AMD, or nVidia card will do fine, just so long as the mfgr. is still supporting driver development for that card.

PrE (as of PrE 9) does not use CUDA, like PrPro does. Same for the ATI/AMD OpenCL. Now, that does not mean that future versions will not either, but for now, those are not considerations.

Good luck,

Hunt