3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 12:19 PM by red-mike

Creating a banner that "unrolls" from a wall in a video

Deaner77 Level 1

I have a few video clips that were taken handheld...so there is some intentional camera shake. I need to create a rolled up banner that is on the wall of the video that unrolls - revealing what is on the "banner". I have extremely little experiance with AF. Is this possible to do? If so...how would I attempt this?

Thanks,

Dean

• 1. Re: Creating a banner that "unrolls" from a wall in a video
          red-mike Level 1

Depends on the shot and what you mean by extremely limited. Is it a closeup? Is it far away? You may be able to get away with trickery on a long shot that won't play close up. Unfurling a banner will need an external 3d program like Maya that can simulate cloth dynamics, or you will need to shoot it for real. Either way, you need to use AE to composite it. But, again, depending on the shot, you may be able to get away with a 2D track or you may need to do a 3D camera solve in an external program to place the shot in frame.

The major problem with what you're asking is you didn't shoot your footage with a plan of how to put it together. Because this is probably a 2D and 3D solution, you may want to consider supporting a local VFX artist or reshooting it with a plan. There are ways you could do this without 3D and even without AE.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating a banner that "unrolls" from a wall in a video
            Deaner77 Level 1

Great answer and good advice. A great deal of my job involves working in 3DS MAX. That was going to be my fall back if I could not figure it out in AE. I should be able to set up a MAX scene and create it in there. Part of my problem is that I really don't know AE full capabilities. I really want to learn because I know you can do some fantastic stuff with it, but I don't have many opportunities to give it a go.

Thanks for your time. Looks like I should probably tackle this in MAX and coposite in AE or Premere.

Dean

• 3. Re: Creating a banner that "unrolls" from a wall in a video
              red-mike Level 1

No problem. Check out videocopilot.net for compositing 3d elements into video.