4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2011 10:46 AM by Bill Gehrke

Is this system overkill?

KD2582

I have been browsing around these forums to help my father-in-law with his video editing hobby. He currently uses CS4 to edit home video's and make movies out of them.  He will be upgrading to CS5 soon and wants to make sure his computer runs it without too many issues. I dont' belive he'll be trying to use any of the 3D rendering features of CS5, but he may play around with it since he invested in it.

The system we're looking at building will consist of the following:

Core i7 990

A higher end X58 Chipset motherboard (Asus Rampage III Extreme for example)

24G of DDR3 1600 or higher RAM

GTX 580 Video Card

(I think stock speeds will be just fine for what he wants to do, so no OC)

One of my questions lie in whether he should have his HDD set up in a RAID 0 array and whether it would be worth the investment to set that up with a seperate RAID controller, considering his planned usage. The way I see it, wiithout his drives in a RAID set up, that could be the major choking point of this system.

A new Samsung AVCHD format HD Video Camera will be the primary source of the video.

The other question I have is, currently he has an i7 950 with an ASRock X58 Deluxe mother board, 12G DDR3 2000 RAM, and just got the GTX580. He currently uses his 1080p HD TV as a video monitor, which I believe is the source of many of the viewing issues he is having. He was having viewing, interface, and video issues when viewing and editing on this monitor. I suggested he purchase a seperate computer video monitor to properly view and edit his videos due to the resolution differences between a TV and a true computer monitor.

I certainly appreciate the help you all give here. It certainly helped me get him on the right track and post the questions I have here.

• 1. Re: Is this system overkill?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looks great but make sure you have a large case with plenty of fans for cooling and an adequate power supply.  My ideal disk setup suggestion would be a 10,000 RPM VelociRaptor OS/Applications disk.  A two disk RAID 0 Project disk, and one or more removable drives (mobile rack case) for backup and archiving.  This will give him a system that should rank in the upper 10% of the PPBM5 results and should last for a long time.

• 2. Re: Is this system overkill?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

It seems like a waste of money. The 950 is not as fast as the 990, but the benefits will be small, only the price difference is very large.  So, yes it is overkill, unless your father in law does not care about the money. But in the latter case, he better get a good raid controller and a good disk setup as well.

Look here: PPBM5 Benchmark

• 3. Re: Is this system overkill?
              KD2582 Level 1

Bill and Harm,

Thank you for the informaiton. We currently have everything in this beast, which I've heard can hide small animals and children. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 So air flow hasn't been a problem.

The PSU is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

I've been browsing the benchmark date sheet that has been posted before. The Areca Arc controller seems to be rather popular with the top performers. He currently has 4 Hard drives, 2 500Gb & 2 1TB. I was thinking of putting the 2, 500 G into a raid array, adding a smaller drive for the OS, and using the 2,1TB drives for stoarge, back up, and programs.

Any thoughts on the monitor issue, where he's using his 1080p TV for a computer monitor?

• 4. Re: Is this system overkill?
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

KD2582 wrote:

Any thoughts on the monitor issue, where he's using his 1080p TV for a computer monitor?

Never having tried such an unusual configuration I want to say it could be a problem but have absolutely no facts to back it up.  But technically I do not know of any problem.

Why don't you run our PPBM5 benchmark on his system and see if there currently are other reasons for the problems.