12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2011 12:40 PM by MissClareskister

Rippling Video

MissClareskister

Hi everyone, my apologies if this is discussed elsewhere (I've looked but the situations were all different).

I am working on a video for my senior film project (can't go to a professor because they were adament about using FCP for projects, but I rebelled and instead bought the Master Collection CS5 since I love the other software Adobe offers as well).

We shot the film on three different Canon HV20 cameras. I was forced to capture the footage onto my external harddrive via USB (didn't have firewire) using the Capture screen in Premiere Pro. I do not believe the graphics look that great... not as clear as when I connect the camcorder to my HDTV and after exporting it looks like an old VHS-C video. Worse, I get these ripples throughout the video. They are not consistent meaning that they may not be in the exact same location each play through and if I go frame by frame with the arrow keys, the ripples either don't show up, or they ripple up whether I go forward or backward through the footage. I am trying to figure out if it is a problem with the tape when being captured (never noticed it during playing footage on the TV) or if it was because I captured through USB vs FireWire or some preset or setting I need to adjust with my project. I exported the project into Encore to build a standard DVD and when displayed in class on the large projector screen I noticed it still had those ripples. I finally now have a way to work on my project using a FireWire 400 cable with FireWire 800 adapter (MBP takes only FireWire 800 while the external HD only FireWire 400). Still have seen no difference in performance from when using USB.

Some specs: I am using a 2009 MacBook Pro with 3.06 Ghz Intel Core-2 Duo Processor, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT. I am using Bootcamp and working on 64-bit Windows 7. Any other specs that you need to help assess? I am a creative person, and less a technical person (I know how to edit, but not how it all works, so if problems arise I don't know the first step in problem-solving. Something I hope to learn).

I hope there is something I can do without having to recapture footage via FireWire as I do not have time to do so and re-edit everything before it will be due, obviously if this is the problem, then it will be good to know for future projects of course, but if there is any way to salvage this project without such drastic measures, please let me know of any suggestions to try.

Again, if you need more specs, just ask and I will try to determine them.

Thanks in advance!

Clare

• 1. Re: Rippling Video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Simple:

I was forced to capture the footage onto my external harddrive via USB (didn't have firewire) I was forced to capture the footage onto my external harddrive via USB (didn't have firewire)

It is impossible to capture over USB, one can only capture over firewire. EOS.

• 2. Re: Rippling Video
            MissClareskister Level 1

Perhaps I may need rephrasing... The camera maybe was connected my firewire (I do not remember. It wasn't my camera, but I could have sworn it was hooked up via USB because I don't remember ever using FireWire 800 before.) but, it was saved directly to my external hard drive and not the laptop's internal drive via USB.

• 3. Re: Rippling Video
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Clare,

HV20 material can only be captured over firewire in HDV format. Nothing else. Please explain your workflow.

• 4. Re: Rippling Video
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                not as clear as when I connect the camcorder to my HDTV

That is to be expected to some degree.  You're starting with HD footage and dumbing it down to DVD resolution.  If you want an image as good as the original, you should be delivering on Blu-ray

• 5. Re: Rippling Video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are doing an HD Capture, it will be over FW-400/iLink/IEEE-1394a and not over FW-800/IEEE-1394b.

I agree that the full details of the exact workflow will very likely point to where the issue is.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Rippling Video
                    MissClareskister Level 1

Well we shot the footage on the HV20 at 30fps/60i I believe. So I captured within the Adobe Premiere Pro software with the camcorder hooked up (I swore it was by USB cable, but since everyone keeps saying it's impossible, then we'll say it was via Firewire 800 (I do not have a Firewire 400 port, so it cannot be Firewire 400). My external hard drive was hooked up via USB when I captured the footage (I did not have a Firewire cable for my HD so that one I know is true). I allowed Premiere to "detect scenes" to split the footage as it was being captured.

I created a timeline, HDV 1080p30 preset and imported the captured footage (over 600 clips). Layed in the footage and began slicing clips... nothing fancy at this point but already saw the rippling effect happening.

Hoping it was due to just the connection while editing, I purchased a FireWire 400 cable with a Firewire 800 adapter so that I could connect my external harddrive through Firewire, but the problem persists.

• 7. Re: Rippling Video
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Why shoot 1080i and then import into a 1080p sequence?

Why capture to a USB disk, which is only good for backups?

Too many flaws in your workflow to tell where the problem is, but that you are having problems comes as no surprise.

• 8. Re: Rippling Video
                        MissClareskister Level 1

Goodness, ouch. I did not realize that connecting my hard drive via USB was only good enough for backup. At the time I did not know the benefit of using Firewire over USB, not to mention the fact my Harddrive required Firewire 400 and my computer Firewire 800 (did not know there was an adapter available).

So while I have "too many" flaws (you only mentioned two) is this just a hopeless case then? I came on here to learn what my options are because yes, I'm not very technical so mistakes may have been made.

As far as the sequence, if I made the wrong choice, can I just create a new sequence and copy the timeline over into the correct one, or will that not make a difference? Or is my potential problem from the initial capture and I am basically screwed because the source files are the problem and not the project itself? Even in spite of not being able to pinpoint the exact cause of my problems, if you have any ideas of minute adjustments that may or may not make a difference.

• 9. Re: Rippling Video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might offer some tips on using external HDD's for video editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Rippling Video
                            MissClareskister Level 1

Thanks for the link. I know from now on I will use only FireWire and not USB for my projects. Do you figure that perhaps I would need to recapture the footage onto my harddrive via Firewire, and if so, would Premiere be able to apply these clips to my already cut sequence, or am I looking at a complete redo?

ETA: If the camera was indeed connected by Firewire, itself, what do you recommend doing if I have only one Firewire port on my computer? Would Firewire hubs slow down data transfer at all?

• 11. Re: Rippling Video
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you figure that perhaps I would need to recapture the footage onto my harddrive via Firewire...

This will likely depend on whether the USB external could keep up with the Capture. If the digital data is complete, and so far, nothing indicates that it is not, I would do a Save_As for your Project, to keep the original Project untouched. Then Copy the folder(s) of Clips to an internal HDD. Unplug the external, so that PrPro cannot find the source files. Open that Save_As Project, and when PrPro asks, "Where is file _____.avi?" point it to the new location on the internal HDD. The program will restablish the links for all files in that folder, that are used. If you have a folder structure, you will need to repeat that process for each sub-folder. Test the playback to see if the issue was with the USB external.

If you still get the rippling, then doing a re-Capture should be tested. If you have the same exact Capture files, and name them the same, you should be able to just replace the ones from the test above (you will still have the original Capture files on the unplugged external, plus the original Project, pointing to that location, when you plug it back in), and test again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Rippling Video
                                MissClareskister Level 1

Thank you so much! I will try out these options and see if that helps. The trick is now going to be how to fit the footage onto my internal harddrive (it's split and the Windows partition is only 130GB including the OS). Luckily I haven't used every clip, but weening out the extraneous files will certainly be a chore!). Still, if it's what needs to be done, so be it.

Thanks again!

Clare