6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 6:21 PM by JesseHarris

Time Lapse Footage Skips/Jumps

JesseHarris Level 1

This new post is related to, http://forums.adobe.com/thread/806126?tstart=0  And many thanks again Rick for your solution!  I really appreciate your expertise and knowledge.

However as this RAM preview hopefully shows, the footage again jumps - and after applying the technique described in my other thread, sadly the clouds still skip and jump. 

http://vimeo.com/21233391

This series of jumps is more complicated.  I have fixed the camera movement as I mention above, however the fast motion of the clouds in between the buildings still jumps!  Is there a way to matte/mask the sky and clone, interpolate, (motion blur?) frames so the effect only affects the clouds and not the buildings?  As my knowledge and skill increases I can sense the immense power and possibilities of this amazing software - but I don't quite have an adequate enough grasp for this.

Thank you again for taking the time to help.

• 1. Re: Time Lapse Footage Skips/Jumps
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Is there a way to matte/mask the sky

Simply apply a conventional hand-drawn mask with the pen tool.

and clone, interpolate, (motion blur?) frames so the effect only affects the clouds and not the buildings?

Pre-compose the masked sky and in the pre-composition time-stretch it to 200% or even higher. Than using that pre-comp as a layer in the main comp, stretch it back to 100% by applying the Timewarp effect. Play with its settings for motion blending and fake motion blur and it should produce something usable.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Time Lapse Footage Skips/Jumps
            JesseHarris Level 1

Thanks for repying Mylenium!  A follow-up question if I may, won't I need to motion track the mask as the camera slowly tilts?  The buildings change position in the frame.

http://vimeo.com/21233391

Many thanks again.

Jesse

• 3. Re: Time Lapse Footage Skips/Jumps
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The camera move looks simple enough that a couple of keyframes on your masks should be sufficient.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Time Lapse Footage Skips/Jumps
                JesseHarris Level 1

Rick, Mylenium,

Thanks again for your experience and kind instruction.  I was unable to make the timewarp/timestretch solution work.  My relative inexperience with pre-comp and speed change workflow in relation to the main comp unfortunately prevented total success.  I was able to implement the pre-comp and time stretch with timewarp, but was not able to manipulate Timewarp with success and was a little lost as to how to put the resulting comp back into my main composition.

However I'll share my solution, in case someone else is dense enough to EVER stop the camera in a time lapse as I did...  I started with M.'s instruction to duplicate my footage, mask the sky, then instead of utilizing Timewarp and Timestretch in a separate pre-comp, I scaled up my top layer of clouds so the buildings were out of frame/mask area.  First slipped the temporal position of that top duplicated/masked layer 12 frames forward to disguise the slips/jumps, keyframed the mask for the needed period, and adjusted opacity at each of the skips to hide the difference in time of the 2 duplicated, but temporally displaced layers.

I hope this makes sense!  I have clouds that are not as sharp as the original footage, but I believe to one's eye, the unsharped clouds, (because of the time/scale and opacity difference), result in a more pleasing look than the disturbing jumps in the footage due to the stopped camera and continuing motion-control tilt of the camera.

Many thanks again for taking the time to help lead me to a solution.  I am learning the magic of masks.  Genius.

• 5. Re: Time Lapse Footage Skips/Jumps
                  Jonas Hummelstrand Level 2

Apart from Time Warp, you could also use the built in "CC Force Motion

Blur" or my preferred tool for these problems; the 3rd party plugin

Twixtor (and to some extent RSMB - ReelSmart Motion Blur) both from

Revision Effects.

• 6. Re: Time Lapse Footage Skips/Jumps
                    JesseHarris Level 1

Thanks very much Jonas!  I'll keep this in reserve for next time.