1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2011 3:12 AM by Mylenium

Importing Maya camera data and locators in AE scale questions

cowboymustache Level 1

I have done this several times with reasonable success, but on the current composition I am working on the imported nulls seem to be moving correctly with the camera but they are at a much smaller scale then original image, as though the camera is dollyed out. In the adobe site affer effects help section covering this topic, Mylenium mentions that the scale can be off, but how does one adjust the scale of a baked camera in after effects? The zoom, position and rotation properties of the camera are what came in keyframed in the MAYA file. I tried adjusting the scale in Maya from centimeters to meters but it was the same result in AE. If any body can point out any additional resources, that would be wonderful. It's such a powerful compositing tool when I can get it to work right.....

• 1. Re: Importing Maya camera data and locators in AE scale questions
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I tried adjusting the scale in Maya from centimeters to meters but it was the same result in AE.

Naturally so. AE treats 1 unit = 1 pixel, regardless of what that unit is. In order to obtain proper scale, you would truly have to scale the entire scene, e.g. by putting it under a Null in Maya, scaling that Null and then freezing the transforms. Scaling in Ae can be achieved with expressions by simply typing value*1000 or whatever scale factor you wanan use in the relevant properties. However, the camera may then be wrong, since simply scaling it changes the projection matrix. you will have to tweak the zoom and filmback to compensate...

Mylenium