5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 11:33 AM by pixlor

Making illustrations in Fireworks?

Marcos Reis.

Fireworks is my favorite software, now I'm even using it to make commercial use ofillustrations. I keep this up? All my illustrations are made using only fireworks without extensions and without external textures, 100% vectorized and using the mouse. I would like to see my work inwww.marcosreis.com

• 1. Re: Making illustrations in Fireworks?
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

As long as you are using it for screen images, good on you. Don't use it for print work in place of Illustrator, though.

• 2. Re: Making illustrations in Fireworks?
            rlindabury Level 1

Why not? It's vector and scales. I've done several print pieces in Fireworks.  8.5" x 11" two sided brochures, etc.

• 3. Re: Making illustrations in Fireworks?

well you can but:

• no cmyk
              • limit to canvas size (only a limit for big jobs admittedly)
              • no printing control over things like colours and trapping etc.
              • no rich black
              • printers probably don't have fireworks so while they can handle your tif/pdf/whatever just fine they can't fix any small problems in the native file like they could with an illi file
              • 4. Re: Making illustrations in Fireworks?
                rlindabury Level 1

Yup. As long as you understand the limitations, you should be good to go. And, depending on what kind of printing you require, it may be the quickest and easest tool.

Some print work doesn't require a CMYK process due to the fact that they're using a digital printing process.  Sometimes I load my finished work into Photoshop, convert to CMYK and create a .PDF for the printer which is using a digital print process.

I've been using a place called www.partnerprinting.com for much of my printing needs and my finished print products look great!

Mostly brochures, booklets, postcards, biz cards, etc.

• 5. Re: Making illustrations in Fireworks?
                  pixlor Level 4

Vector illustration software, such as Illustrator, has a great deal more power and ease when it comes to drawing. If you're doing professional illustration, you might find you enjoy using Illustrator. You could try a trial version or download the open source Inkscape. Fireworks is really good at what it's intended for, but it has a focus that leaves out some features (or only has some minimal versions) that you can find in an illustration application.