10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 12:57 PM by shooternz

Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio

mmdeziner Level 1

I'm working on a project where while filming, main audio is recorded on a seperate source. We have lots of shots and synching all audio with the video before editing would be very time consuming. Ideally it would make sense to synch audio once rough cut is made (since we will synch only the audio for the clips used). The challenge with that is, there will be many cuts within a shot and I will end up synching audio for one shot mutliple times. What's the most efficient way to synch external audio? Is there a way to replace all audio in sequences, keeping the cuts? I am curious to know how other editors on this forum go about it.

Any suggestions on the best workflow in this scenario would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RV

• 1. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
          csgaraglino Level 1

A lot of folks I work with are using PluralEyes and having great success with it. http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html  The is a free trial to see if it will meet your specific needs.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Usually you sync each shot as you need it.  Line up the clapper strike with the audio peak.

• 3. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
              mmdeziner Level 1

Thanks Jim - there has to be a better way - this method would require me to synch hundereds of clips, many of which may end up not used in the final cut. I I am looking for suggestions for a workflow in premiere to avoid unnecessary synching of audio for all clips before the final cut? I also want to avoid synching audio for each cut if I wait to do it after the fina cut. Anyone, any suggestions? 

• 4. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
                mmdeziner Level 1

Thanks csgaraglino - I will check this out. This sounds like what I need - however, I would prefer if there is any workflow within premiere, so I don't have to shell out any more money at this time.

• 5. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
                  shooternz Level 6

There are a number of workflows and they depend a little on the way you need to

work.  BTW - you must have known that you would need to synch up when you made the decision to shoot double system!

If you need to select your takes by having audio and video synched up...you will need to create a sequence and then synch every vid clip with an audio clip.

No way around that.

If you can select your takes from either a continuity log sheet, video only or audio only...you have reduced the amount of clips you need to synch.

Either way... create a Sequence called "SYNCH Sequence" ( eg).

Synch  them all up.

Then create an EDIT Sequence.   Use a Razor  and Copy Paste workflow tfrom seq to seq to make your edits.

Good luck with this basic workflow.

You can develop it from thereon.  Maybe "subclips" or "nests"

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
                    mmdeziner Level 1

Thanks shooternz. This is helpful and a good starting point for me. This way I only have to synch up once per shot instead of if I were to synch after finishing editing (in which case I will have to synch per cut). I am looking for efficient way to synch after the edit is done (if there is one). My preferece is to edit with built in audio - have sign off on edit and then synch audio - is there a better way to accomplish this without having to synch each cut. For example, I edit with built in audio. And then synch external audio for all the video shots (not cuts) once. (This will save me time as some shots may never make to the signed off edit). If there is some way to batch process synching of external audio for each cut based on the synch done for each shot. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions/pointers for this. Thanks. RV

• 7. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

There is no batch or automatic way to do this--it's all manual. Do you have timecode with your sync audio that matches the video?

• 8. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
                        mmdeziner Level 1

For some shots audio timecode matches with video - but not for all shots

• 9. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Bummer. For the clips where you have matching timecode, you can drag the sync audio clip to the movie clip in a sequence, hold down Alt+Shift, and drop the audio onto the movie clip. This will do an audio replacement that match frames and keeps the clips synced--it'll also keep the audio and video linked so you can move them as one unit. I'd suggest creating a "sync" sequence where you can prepare each clip this way if you want to do this before you edit; you'd then have to copy and paste into your editing sequence.

You could do a similar thing with the audio without timecode; just hold down Alt and replace the audio on the movie clips. You'd then be able to Alt-click the audio portion of the movie clip and slip the audio into sync. Time-consuming, but it's doable.

• 10. Re: Need workflow suggestion to synch external audio
                            shooternz Level 6

Synching to master audio after you edit is going to create the extra work that you are trying to avoid.

You could possibly do a workflow where you 'Post Timecode' to your Audio Source clip that matches the Video TC.

That could be helpful and something I might do.