3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2011 10:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Good laptop for Adobe Premiere Elements 9 ?

scania-driver

Which laptop is good and reliable for AP9 ? I mean, editing Canon 60D .MOV videos ?

What about Dell XPS i5-560M, 4GB RAM, 1920x1080 screen, 1GB GT420M Graphics Card, etc.

Does anybody have any experience ?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Good laptop for Adobe Premiere Elements 9 ?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Laptops never make the best editing machines. They're usually built for portability, not power -- so you often ending up spending nearly 50% more than you would for a comparable desktop. So if you're going to edit on a laptop, plan on spending close to two grand for a hi-def video editor.

For editing video from the Canon D series, I'd recommend you you get a quad core or i7 processor, 4 gigs of RAM and, ideally, a 1 terrabyte hard drive or a 500 gig drive and a good, fast external drive for your video files. I'd also recommend you get Windows 7 32-bit if you can. The 64-bit version of Windows 7 can have problems with higher-end 32-bit software like Premiere Elements.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Good laptop for Adobe Premiere Elements 9 ?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/

Be sure to order one with 2 internal drives... or an eSata external for video files

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
            You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
            Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
            You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
            A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
            One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 3. Re: Good laptop for Adobe Premiere Elements 9 ?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I second John T's rec. on the Sager notebooks. I've been editing with one for four years, and it is a great machine, albeit not inexpensive.

The beauty of those laptops is that you can get up to three internal HDD's, an i7 9xx series CPU and nVidia graphics. Do not be tempted to go the SLI route, as PrE (or PrPro) cannot use that, and problems can occur with some Adobe programs.

I've ordered a replacement for my Sager, but primarily to take advantage of Win7, and the improvements/enhnacements, like 12GB RAM, newer nVidia chip and larger internal HDD's (200GB was the max, when I ordered my current machine).

Besides the cost, there is also the matter of battery life. A laptop with 3x HDD's, and a 17" high-rez display, is going to eat batteries. In my case, I am using the laptop on the AC, and just out of the office, so it's not a big deal.

If one is working in the field, and on battery power, then they would probably want to struggle with a tiny display, a single HDD and a minimum CPU. Those are trade-offs, that I am not willing to make, but then if I need something totally reliant on battery power, I would just not try to use it to edit video.

Good luck,

Hunt