5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 2:02 PM by Steve Grisetti

Transfer problem from Photoshop Elements 9 to Premiere Elements 9

rylabrosse

When I transfer a slideshow from Photoshop Elements 9 to Premiere Elements 9, some slides change orientation and appear compressed. How can I avoid this problem?

Also when transfering  from Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements opens a window to record the name of the project; what is the proper setting for the project? DSLR, interface DV...?

Recording a Blueray with Premiere elements from sequences of slideshows saved as WMV (highest resolution 1024x768) , pictures do not fill the screen. I realize that the photo size (4:3) is different from the TV screen (16:9), and that cropping would be necessary to fill the screen, but is there a format WMV for wide screen or can Premiere Elements do the cropping?  A wide screen ratio would be nice to have in Photoshop Elements cropping toll.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: Transfer problem from Photoshop Elements 9 to Premiere Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Photoshop Elements doesn't have a slideshow creator tool. Maybe you are thinking of the Slideshow Creator in the Elements Organizer?

If so, have you resized all of your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum? Oversized photos (and photos directly from a camera can be 16x this size) often create buggy behavior.

Also remember to render your photos (press Enter) in Premiere Elements before you judge your slideshow's quality. (If there's a red line above your clips on the timeline, rendering will make that line turn green.)

• 2. Re: Transfer problem from Photoshop Elements 9 to Premiere Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

One problem with orientation is that many viewing/cataloging programs will allow one to change the orientation, but that is only for viewing - no pixels are actually changed. A flag is placed in the metadata, telling many viewers to rotate the image, when viewed. Adobe Bridge, the big-brother to Organizer, and installed with many Adobe suites and programs, does this. It is not until one does a Save for the image, that the rotation is actually applied to the pixels. Until then, it's just an instruction to a viewer on how to display the image.

I second Steve's comments on the Scaling of stills, outside of PrE, prior to Import. This ARTICLE will give you some background and some tips for automating the process.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Transfer problem from Photoshop Elements 9 to Premiere Elements 9
              rylabrosse Level 1

Yes, I am using the slideshow creator in the Organizer and I have not resized the the photos before going to Premiere Elements. I will try it.

I have tried the rendering and it does not correct the orientation: some landscape photo show up as portrait and vice-versa. All photos were processed with the Organizer.

• 4. Re: Transfer problem from Photoshop Elements 9 to Premiere Elements 9
                rylabrosse Level 1

Assuming I have reduced my photos to 1827 x 1028 (ratio 16:9), how can I create a slideshow (keeping the ratio) and transfer them to Premiere elements in order to create a Blueray disk that will fill the screen?

• 5. Re: Transfer problem from Photoshop Elements 9 to Premiere Elements 9
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're not going to be able to do that in the Elemenets Organizer's slideshow creator, rylabrosse.

You'll need to open an HDV project in Premiere Elements (Make sure to uncheck the option to Scale to Frame Size!) and add your stills to the timeline manually.

As long as you have the Scale to Frame Size option unchecked before you bring the photos into your project, they will fill the screen. The Scale to Frame Size option can be found under Edit/Preferences.

Lots more information on working with photos -- as well as the four different ways to build slideshows in Premiere Elements -- in my books, if you're interested.

1 person found this helpful