11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2011 10:04 PM by Martyus RSS

Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio

Martyus

I have been using the Production Premium Suite CS4 for over a year, editing without problems AVCHD (MTS) files. I received a M2TS file and when importing into Premiere Pro, Encore, etc., the video is imported, but there is no audio track. On the same computer (Windows 7 64-bit), the M2TS file plays fine - with audio - via Windows Media Player, TMT5, etc.

Any ideas why the audio track is not getting imported into Premiere Pro (and other CS4 programs)?

Here are the M2TS file details:

File:
           Mux type : TS Stream
           TSMuxRate : 12.266 Mbps

Video:
           Encoding : MPEG2
           VideoStreamID : x240
           Frame rate : 29.97 fps
           Encoding size : 1920 x 1080
           Aspect ratio : 16:9
           Header bit rate : 65.000 Mbps
           VBV buffer : 976 KBytes
           Profile : Main@High
           Progressive : Prog or Int
           Chroma : 4:2:0
           Bit rate : 11.008 Mbps

Audio Stream: 1 (Primary)
           Codec : AC3
           Channels : 5.1
           Language : eng
           PID : x23E
           PES Stream Id : xBD
           Bit rate : 384 Kbps
           Sampling rate : 48000
           Sample size : 16 bits

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
          John T Smith MVP

If the search function is working today, do a forum search for

metadata

to read about needed information, for some cameras and files, being contained in the folder structure that is copied from camera to hard drive

If all you have is an individual file, it MAY be that PPro can't "see" the audio because some of the information is missing

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
            the_wine_snob Community Member

Have you updated your CS4 to the very latest version?

AC3 Audio support was addressed by adding the Encore AC3 .dll to PrPro, through CS3. Then, there were issues with doing that in CS4. I think that it was not until CS4.2.1, that this issue was resolved.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
              Martyus Community Member

@John T. Smtih

I searched this forum for "metadata" and there were no results.

The M2TS file did not come from a camara. It was converted from a Windows Media Center .WTV file to .M2TS using a program called VideoReDo. From what I understand, no re-encoding took place, VideoReDo for the most part just stripped off the .WTV container and put the contents (MPEG2 video and AC3 audio) into a .M2TS container. From the testing I performed, the M2TS file is valid and plays in several programs, just that Premiere Pro CS4 (and other CS4 programs) won't recognize the audio track.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
                Martyus Community Member

@Bill Hunt

I checked and my Premiere Pro CS4 is v4.2.1.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
                  J. Simon Community Member

It was converted from a Windows Media Center .WTV file

That's probably the issue.  If you stick to using camera media, you'll probably have better luck.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
                    Martyus Community Member

@Jim Simon

Hmm... Your comment is a little unsettling. Should it matter where the file came from?

If Premiere Pro CS4 supports M2TS containers with MPEG2 video and AC3 audio, shouldn't it be able to read the audio track from this file?

Several other programs (i.e. Media Player, TMT5) have no problem reading the audio track from the file.

When I purchased Adobe CS4 Production Premium, I thought this was "professional" level video editing software. Given this file import audio problem and your comment, I am now beginning to have my doubts. I have to wonder, what other "supported" video files will CS4 not be able to import? Do video editing "pros" really use this software?

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
                      Jeff Bellune ACP

You record a TV show with a consumer utility, run it through a consumer muxing/demuxing/re-wrapping program, and then question whether Pr is professional software used by professionals based on how it handles that file?  IMHO, that's a complete non sequitur.

Professionals usually work with the original media.  When they're given "odd" footage to work with, they do whatever it takes to make it work in their project.  You are at the "whatever it takes" stage.

I used to use VideoReDo to split and join MPEG2 files, but I got spotty results.  Sometimes it produced usable output, sometimes it didn't.  There are many utilities like that, which is why I have a bunch of them in my arsenal.  When one doesn't work, another usually does.  Sorenson, MainConcept, Womble, VirtualDub, AviSynth, Lagarith, MPEG Streamclip, VLC, AC3 Filter, etc. are all tools that can get the job done when needed.

My question for you is why are you exporting as M2TS?  It's usually a file format that is used on Blu-ray discs, primarily intended for playback and not editing.  Why not just export from VRD as separate M2V video and WAV audio files?  Even if you got a VRD-produced M2TS file to work in Pr, it would have to be demuxed anyway for editing.  It's easier to feed Pr the elementary video and audio streams in the first place.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
                        Martyus Community Member
                        function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jeff Bellune wrote:

You record a TV show with a consumer utility, run it through a consumer muxing/demuxing/re-wrapping program, and then question whether Pr is professional software used by professionals based on how it handles that file?  IMHO, that's a complete non sequitur.

Professionals usually work with the original media.  When they're given "odd" footage to work with, they do whatever it takes to make it work in their project.  You are at the "whatever it takes" stage.

I used to use VideoReDo to split and join MPEG2 files, but I got spotty results.  Sometimes it produced usable output, sometimes it didn't.  There are many utilities like that, which is why I have a bunch of them in my arsenal.  When one doesn't work, another usually does.  Sorenson, MainConcept, Womble, VirtualDub, AviSynth, Lagarith, MPEG Streamclip, VLC, AC3 Filter, etc. are all tools that can get the job done when needed.

My question for you is why are you exporting as M2TS?  It's usually a file format that is used on Blu-ray discs, primarily intended for playback and not editing.  Why not just export from VRD as separate M2V video and WAV audio files?  Even if you got a VRD-produced M2TS file to work in Pr, it would have to be demuxed anyway for editing.  It's easier to feed Pr the elementary video and audio streams in the first place.

-Jeff

Jeff, Thank you for the reply.

My comment about professional software was based on my experience where professional software is typically a superset of all other software "below" it, i.e. consumer, semi-pro, etc. That is, professional software can handle just about anything (i.e. file formats, syntax, etc) you can throw at it. Where the other way around, consumer level software, would never (typically intentionally) be able to handle the variety of data types, complex processing, etc.

While Pr doesn't directly support .WTV format files (expected since this is a non-standard container format for MPEG2/AC3 tracks), converting to the M2TS container format seemed the simplest since it is a standard format container for MPEG2/AC3 tracks. Also, I read that M2TS is the same as MTS (just a different file extension), and I have been editing MTS files from my Canon camcorder in Pr for some time now without any problems.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that the VideoReDo program is not creating a properly formatted M2TS container file (for the MPEG2/AC3 tracks) according to the standard, which is why Pr is having problems reading the AC3 audio track out of the M2TS container file.

The curious part is that other programs (i.e. Windows Media Player and TMT5) can read the MPEG2 video track and AC3 audio track out of the M2TS container file without any problems. Perhaps these programs are more tolerant than Pr for whatever errors VRD is making in the M2TS file format.

Taking your advice, I used the VRD program to create separate M2V and AC3 container files. Pr imported them both without any errors, but there are synchronization issues between the video and audio tracks and Pr sometimes has trouble playing audio for the AC3 track, so I expect that VRD somehow messed with the MPEG2 and AC3 tracks when it copied them out of the original container file into the separate container files.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
                          Jeff Bellune ACP
                          My comment about professional software was based on my experience where professional software is typically a superset of all other software "below" it, i.e. consumer, semi-pro, etc. That is, professional software can handle just about anything (i.e. file formats, syntax, etc) you can throw at it. Where the other way around, consumer level software, would never (typically intentionally) be able to handle the variety of data types, complex processing, etc.

In the multimedia production arena, sometimes the reverse is true.  For example, just try feeding Scenarist anything but a properly formed and encoded MPEG2 video file that perfectly conforms to the DVD specification.  I'm not putting Pr in the same league as Scenarist, but that program is as "professional" as it gets for DVD authoring, and it will refuse to ingest anything except a very specific kind of file.  I never worked with AVID products, but from what little I know about them, their high-end editors not only required specific hardware to run, but may also have been fussy about what assets they accepted.  AVID has been an industry standard for film and broadcast editing for years.

The curious part is that other programs (i.e. Windows Media Player and TMT5) can read the MPEG2 video track and AC3 audio track out of the M2TS container file without any problems.

The issue is that asking a program to edit video and audio is very different from asking a program to simply play video and audio.  Playback is a real-time, linear operation.  One frame, one audio sample follows the next.  Editing is non-linear, and all frames and audio samples have to be available at all times and in any order.  Instantly.

there are synchronization issues between the video and audio tracks and Pr sometimes has trouble playing audio for the AC3 track

It's possible that whatever VRD did to the M2TS that Pr didn't like, it also did to the audio stream.  Audio may be the core issue in this case.  Whether the problem started during capture, duriing import into VRD or during export is something that you'll have to figure out.  Try exporting the audio from VRD as an uncompressed WAV file if it'll let you.  Try other tools to demux or wrap the TV file.  You get the idea.

-Jeff

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
                            the_wine_snob Community Member

That is, professional software can handle just about anything (i.e. file formats, syntax, etc) you can throw at it. Where the other way around, consumer level software, would never (typically intentionally) be able to handle the variety of data types, complex processing, etc.

With full pro-level source footage, this is true. PrPro handles a broad range of such footage. However, outside of the pro realm, PrElements actually handles many more types of consumer footage, and usually beats PrPro to inclusion, by a version, or two.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio
                              Martyus Community Member

Thank you everyone for your responses.

As follow-up to this thread, I have had some time to experiment a bit. It turns out that the original audio track is a mix of AC3 2 channel and 5.1 channel audio. That is, the first 30 minutes or so is 2 channel, then about 60 minutes of 5.1 channel, then about another 30 minutes of 2 channel (3 different TV segments recorded as one block). The segment with 5.1 channel audio also has several interspersed sections of 2 channel audio (commercials).

The audio changing from 2 channel to 5.1 channel seems to be what is tripping up either the VRD program or PPro. Although, I am not completely clear which program (or both) is having problems. I don't know of any tools available to decompose and verify the audio track protocol created by VRD to input into PPro to try to determine if one or the other is not following the AC3 standard.

Anyway, using the VRD program, I was able to chop up the original video/audio stream into sections with either 2 channel or 5.1 channel audio, saving into M2TS format. I could never get the VRD program to produce elementary video and audio streams that could be properly synchronized (regardless of audio format (AC3, WAV). In the end, all I really needed was about 5 minutes of the last 30 minute segment (a friend was on a local news broadcast), and using PPro I was able to successfully recombobulate all the M2TS pieces from VRD into working M2TS sequences - two 30 minute sequences with AC3 2 channel audio, and a 60 minute sequence with AC3 5.1 channel audio, each of which was successfully output via Encore to DVD and Blu-ray.

I was able to finally get the 5 minutes of HD video/audio I needed, and learned quite a bit along the way, so I will know what to expect the next time I need to work with recorded HD TV.