2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 10:46 PM by BStroganoff

Newbie Adobe Technology Question...

BStroganoff

Hello Flex Guru's:

I have little knowledge of Adobe Technologies so I sincerely apologize up front if I've posted to the wrong forum.  I tried to find the best fit for my question.

I need to write up a research paper given the following objectives and I'm hoping some of you may be able to offer some advice.

Select a technology that enables: (please explain your reasoning)

• Secure code deployment (install/update) via the Web.
      • Secure code execution on the current local machine.
      • Secure inter-application communication on the current local machine.
      • Secure read/write access to application-related data files on the current local machine.

My Understanding:

I'm told the following about (what I see as) "the competition": (in no particular order)

• Microsoft Silverlight 4+ has signed, out-of-browser applications that can be deployed via the Web and execute under a Silverlight Runtime.
      • Oracle Java 6+ has signed, applets that are deployed via the Web and execute under a Java Runtime.

My Questions:

• Does Adobe technologies have an "animal" such as the above two?  If so, which ones would you recommend?
      • Assuming Adobe does offer a strong solution, why would you choose Adobe technologies over MS or Oracle?

A gracious thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,

Beef

• 1. Re: Newbie Adobe Technology Question...
          Pablo Souza Level 3
          • Does Adobe technologies have an "animal" such as the above two?  If so, which ones would you recommend?
            • Yes, Adobe and the Flash Plataform are the best solutions for your need. I deeply recommend you to use Adobe Flex (web) and Adobe AIR (desktop/mobile) instead of the others.

• Assuming Adobe does offer a strong solution, why would you choose Adobe technologies over MS or Oracle?
            • Adobe Flex runs under Flash Player, which is present in almost 100% of machines around the world.
            • Adobe Flex allows you to easily integrate your projects with back-end technologies (Java, .NET, PHP, Rails, Grails, etc).
            • The Adobe development tools save time. You can create wireframes and custom Flex components in Flash Catalyst and import them later in Adobe Flash Builder for start to code your project.

Hope it helps you!

Best regards,

@Pablo_Souza

• 2. Re: Newbie Adobe Technology Question...
            BStroganoff Level 1

Hi Pablo_Souza,

Thank you very much for replying to my inquiry!  I really appreciate your help!

Indeed you make a very compelling case for selecting Adobe Flex (Web) and Adobe AIR (Desktop/Mobile).  If you wouldn't mind, may I ask you a few more questions?

1. Do you know if the Adobe AIR can be securely deployed/updated via the Web and if it allows multiple (separate) AIR applications to communicate with each other (directly) in a secured way on a local machine (i.e. app to app, not via a Web server, etc)?
            2. Do they have access to and can share local data files securely?
            3. From your experience, do all of the "big three" (i.e. Adobe, Oracle, and Microsoft) offer technologies that fully meet the stated requirements (reiterated below)? If so, in your opinion, what are the pros and cons of each?

Please forgive me if I ask ignorant questions and thanks again for your help.
            Beef

Requirements: (reiterated)
            Select a technology that enables: (please explain your reasoning)

• Secure code deployment (install/update) via the Web.
            • Secure code execution on the current local machine.
            • Secure inter-application communication on the current local machine.
            • Secure read/write access to application-related data files on the current local machine.