4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 8:26 PM by smartd1011

PLEASE HELP

smartd1011 Level 1

I just shot a wedding event. I used lapel MIC for the groom during the ceremony. For the reception, I used on CAM MIC. BUT, FROM THE BEGINING TO THE END, THERE ALWAYS A LOT OF STATIC OR HUMMING NOISES .  IS THAT BECAUSE OF PEOPLE USED THE DJ'S MIC, AND HIS SPEAKER'S FEED BACK GAVE ME THE NOISE?

can I used adobe audition 3 to get rid of it and normalize to audio?

thanks a million!!!

• 1. Re: PLEASE HELP
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There could be a lot of causes, from RF on the wireless, to perhaps fabric "ruffle" on the lav itself.

For some possible tips on "fixing" things, see this ARTICLE. I would look to Audition, X my fingers, listen and tweak. I do also recommend that little Magix program, mentioned in the article above - simply amazing, as a first-step.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PLEASE HELP
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I doubt it's anything to do with the DJ's PA system and more to do with the fact that the ambient noise nearer the camera was louder than the audio you wanted to capture.  The ear/brain can filter at source to a degree - microphones cannot.  .

I know it's closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, but I can't stress the importance of using headphones to monitor the audio - especially when it is vital to the integrity to the piece.

You discover immediately whether you need to rethink the micing and, if you can't, whether you are going to experience post-production difficulties.

• 3. Re: PLEASE HELP
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Absolutey. Proper micing and recording techniques will always beat many hours in post. A great, clean signal, properly recorded is as good as it gets, and well worth the efforts. Cleaning and fixing, are both time intensive, and highly limited in what one can do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PLEASE HELP
                smartd1011 Level 1

I will do so and thank you  so much!