11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 6:49 AM by bainofmylife

Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately

bainofmylife

Hi

I have been using the program for months without problems, but the last few projects have been plagued with them.

I am capturing mini DV tapes via firewire through a deck - some tapes will capture Ok but when I put at the others on the timeline there is no audio - definitely audio on the original tape, and audio plays fine via windows media player. I have let the clip encode fully after capture. I end up having to capture the same tape again, and then it's fine.

Another strange phenomenon that has just stated to occur regularly - I am getting red frames in my footage which I understand Premiere puts in when there is a dropped frame in order to maintain sync. However every time this occurs, my audio is out of sync by 7 frames. Its driving me mad.  I have not changed any settings, I have changed my firewire card and cable - it's just one of those random things which is occuring regularly.

Dell Studio XPS 8100/Windows 7/Intel Core i7 CPU/ 860 @2.80 Ghz/6 GB Ram/Pyro professional 1394 controller

Please could someone suggest possible solutions!

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
          Harm Millaard Level 7

'Lately' often means that you have been gathering pollution in recent times.The slower your disk I/O is, the more it shows. Can you mention your disk setup? Cleaning up your disks and defragging them can help significantly.

About the dropped frames, you don't try to reuse your tapes are you? That often leads to a noticeable increase in dropped frames. Head clogging is another reason for that phenomenon. Using a cleaning tape can solve that. You have set your firewire driver to Legacy, right? What chip is used on your Pyro card?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
            bainofmylife Level 1

Thank you Harm,

I think you are right about cleaning the disks, they have become cluttered and I am going to sort that out today. I have 1.5TB C Drive and 63GB D Drive - maybe I should resize the D Drive and use that for capturing the video?

I never reuse tapes, and do clean the tape heads but maybe not often enough - will clean more frequently.

I did not have the legacy driver installed, have done this now - thanks

I don't know about the chip on the Pyro card, how can I find this out?

I will take your advice and clean my tape heads and hard drive and let you know if that improves the situation.

Many thanks!

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Saying you'll resize your D drive makes me think that you've got one physical drive and are using partitions--is that true? If so, you really need to get a dedicated disk for your video, and not use partitions... they'll kill you in productivity... Sounds like your C and D drives need to be reversed... you really only need enough room on your C drive for OS/Programs... D drive (assuming you only have two drives) needs to hold your projects and data. Preferably run three drives--one for OS and programs, one for projects and cache, and one for data.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
                bainofmylife Level 1

Thanks for your reply David,

They are two separate drives, but the operating system is on the larger (C) drive. Do you think I should copy and paste all of the contents on the C Drive over the D Drive (would that work, would I have to rename the drive)?

I could then use the larger drive purely for video work.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>copy and paste all of the contents on the C Drive over the D Drive

You need to buy a book about Windows and read... Windows and all software must be INSTALLED, so the system registry is correct... you may not just copy your operating system and software to a new drive and have it work

As far as drives and video editing...

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                  1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
                  2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
                  3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                  You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to

various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                  Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a

fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                  You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                  A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy

video editing
                  One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Copy/paste won't work, no. You'll have to re-install Windows and all Programs from scratch on your smaller drive. However, I do think it would be worth it for you to do.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I am getting red frames in my footage

Hmmm.  I thought that only happened with the MPEG based HDV, not with the intraframe DV.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
                        bainofmylife Level 1

Update - Problem solved!

I archived old projects to a removable drive, cleaned up my disks and defragmented. I also changed to the legacy driver.

The footage that had no audio is now fine, and I re-captured the footage with red frames and that too is normal again.

Clearly my system was a mess and that was causing the problems - next stop will be to reverse my hard disks as advised.

Thank you all again, particularly Harm!

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
                          JEShort01 Level 4

If I were in your shoes, I would get a new large drive to replace your current D: drive. Drives are pretty cheap these days, new 1TB drives with larger cache/buffer sizes tend to me much faster than older smaller drives, and doing the "swap" would likely take lots of time and also may be associated with some risk of loosing something along the way.

Jim

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 acting weird lately
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Second that suggestion, Jim.