3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 3:40 PM by Dorin Botez

How best to tween a png of steam developing ?

Envirographics Level 1

Hi,

I have several png files of a developing cloud of white steam, created in pshop with transparent base.

I have tried bitmap> trace bitmap but it makes it shades of grey, shape tweening it gives an effect of a grey glass exploding, curved shards moving about and growing.

A png cannot be morphed in Flash can it ?

How best to do steam developing ?

What I am doing:-

I had pngs 1 to 6 as a developing cloud then png 6 I renamed 6a and duplicated and rotated through 90 deg and tweaked each one, idea is at png 6 just to let the cloud timeline keep looping between 6a,b, c and d. I shall need to have 1 to 6a on one layer then stop code it, and have 6a through to 6d on another higher layer not stop coded so that they keep running. I cant have 1 to 5 on one layer with 6a to 6d on a higher layer as I would need to tween between 5 and 6a, and tweening between layers isn’t possible.

Envirographics

• 1. Re: How best to tween a png of steam developing ?
          Dorin Botez

Hi there,

Envirographics wrote:

Hi,

I have several png files of a developing cloud of white steam, created in pshop with transparent base.

I have tried bitmap> trace bitmap but it makes it shades of grey, shape tweening it gives an effect of a grey glass exploding, curved shards moving about and growing.

A png cannot be morphed in Flash can it ?

They can't be morphed. If you want to use Shape tweening I would suggest to export your graphics as AI keeping vector format (bezier curves) that can be manipulated using shape tweening. 

How best to do steam developing ?

If you are contrained by using that image sequence as bitmap (PNG) I would suggest using motion tweening and create transition between each two of them by fading in/fading out and play with transparency (alpha). That creates sort of visual effect making the transition between them smooth and dynamic. It's not the best solution though, I would also suggest to use particle generator or code to animate particles like smoke.

What I am doing:-

I had pngs 1 to 6 as a developing cloud then png 6 I renamed 6a and duplicated and rotated through 90 deg and tweaked each one, idea is at png 6 just to let the cloud timeline keep looping between 6a,b, c and d. I shall need to have 1 to 6a on one layer then stop code it, and have 6a through to 6d on another higher layer not stop coded so that they keep running. I cant have 1 to 5 on one layer with 6a to 6d on a higher layer as I would need to tween between 5 and 6a, and tweening between layers isn’t possible.

Envirographics

I hope this helps.

• 2. Re: How best to tween a png of steam developing ?
            Envirographics Level 1

sorry but cant read the reply, some kind of scroll window and only able to see first line each time.

Envirographics

• 3. Re: How best to tween a png of steam developing ?
              Dorin Botez Level 1

Hi there,

Sorry for the previous format. So the  bitmap PNG can't be morphed. If you want to use shape tweening to create  morphing effect I would suggest to export your graphics as AI (Adobe  Illustrator) and  import them into Flash.Then you can manipulate them  easily and create the transition you are looking for.

If you are constrained by using that image sequence as bitmap (PNG) I would suggest using motion tweening and create transition between each two of them by fading in/fading out and play with transparency (alpha). That creates sort of visual effect making the transition between them smooth and dynamic. It's not the best solution though, I would also suggest to use particle generator or code to animate particles like smoke.