3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 8:41 AM by John T Smith

Core i3 vs. Core i5...

davidbeisner2010 Level 3

My 3-year old HP laptop with an AMD x2 Turion 64 bit processor is slowly beginning to bite the dust... It's beginning to run incredibly slow, even after replacing Vista with 7, and it builds up so much heat when I leave it running more than a couple hours that it is literally painful to the touch around the screen and processor areas. It also appears to have the battery issue with Windows 7 that so many older systems had, where Windows can't accurately read how much battery life is available, so if I run it more than about 15 minutes unplugged it just shuts down on me--no warning. So, it's time for a new laptop. However, I'm not looking for an editing rig... my laptop is used for e-mail, internet, and office apps. I do have the Master Collection CS5 installed on it and once-in-a-blue moon I have to do something with PrPro... but not often (I actually can't remember the last time I used PrPro on my laptop). I do often use Photoshop for minor photo editing or saving screenshots.

I've found what appears to be a decent HP at a really good price (it's a factory refurbished unit from Best Buy, where I have an 18-months no-interest purchase option). It's got a 2.26GHz Core i3-350M processor; comes with 4GB of ram (though it can take up to 8GB); has 1.5GB of dedicated video memory (unfortunately it's an embedded Intel HD chip); and has a 500GB 7200rpm SATA drive (7200rpm is a big selling point for me, as most laptop drives are only 5400 RPM). It's got a few extras I like, such as a webcam, HDMI output (great for watching Hulu on my big screen), and media slots. Also has a 17.3" widescreen, which I really like. Only thing missing which I would kill for is firewire.

My question is this: On the very rare occasion I'll need to do anything with video on this machine, how much am I going to wish I had an i5 processor instead of an i3? Machines with i7 processors are way out of my price range, and there is really only one machine with an i5 that's in my range, and sacrifices some other things that I'd rather not sacrifice (like trading my 17.3" screen for 14" and 7200rpm drive for 5400rpm...)

Thoughts? Recommendations?

• 1. Re: Core i3 vs. Core i5...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

David,

I went through the same experience with my laptop, where heat built up, causing the thermal protection to kick in and shutting down this notebook. My wife had similar experiences recently, but that was caused by one of our cats finding the keyboard a nice warm place to lie down.

For the once-in-a-while occasional use of the MC or PR, I would weigh the features more heavily than the CPU speed, but of course that is very personal.

• 2. Re: Core i3 vs. Core i5...
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go look and see where a similar computer sits in the rankings

Premiere Pro CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/
            Premiere Pro CS4 Benchmark http://ppbm4.com/

From the little reading I've done in that area (not an expert, could be wrong) I think the i3 is "about" the same power as the Pentium 4 I stopped using almost a year ago

I edited ONLY SD video (DV AVI digitized via Pinnacle Dv500 card) with that computer... with 2 hard drives... and while it was slow (took Encore CS3 overnight to encode and create an ISO to later burn to disc) it did work

You will struggle with only 1 hard drive (an external eSata drive will help) but editing SD video will be, slowly, possible

If you try and edit HD video... I have no idea

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
            You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to

various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
            Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a

fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
            You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
            A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy

video editing
            One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 3. Re: Core i3 vs. Core i5...
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks for the input, guys... According to ppbm4 and ppbm5, nobody's using an i3 out there, so I suppose I can expand the data points for ppbm5 by running the test when I eventually get the laptop. Looking back at the i5 machine in my price range, I saw that it was an Acer, which I'm not keen on... I've loved the support I've received with my HP, and read lots of horror stories with Acers. I also would able to utilize my current power supply with a new HP, allowing me to keep one in the office and one at home, which would be wonderful.

I remembered the last time I used PrPro on my laptop--it was to create a slideshow for my wife's grandfather's funeral, a little over a year ago... If my laptop had firewire, I'd probably be tempted to use OnLocation frequently, but without firewire I'm unable to do that, and I've yet to find firewire integrated in ANY laptop even close to my price range. So, I'll be going with the i3. I had done some research as well into the i3 vs. the Pentium T4500 or the AMD P340, and I'm seeing that the i3 is beating both of them quite handily, making it the best bang-for-my-buck in my price range.

Though I'll probably never have to edit HD video on my laptop, I'll do a little bit of it and also run the ppbm5 test when I get it and report back my results.