19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 6:59 PM by Jim_Simon

Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files

digitlman Level 1

I imported some vob files from a dvd and it only gives me the first audio track in premiere but i need the 2nd audio track. How do i tell premiere i only want the 2nd track?

• 2. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You will need to use another program to rip that supplemental audio track. Perhaps VideoReDo will allow you to extract that stream.

Another option would be to hook up the DVD player to an A-D bridge, or capture card, and use the software to do a Capture, once you have set that supplemental to play.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Try this:

1. Get ReJig (free and involves no installation).
            2. Open  ReJig, and click the File Mode button. Click the Add button, and then  the next Add button; navigate to and select your VOB file.  Click Done.
            3. In  the "Stream List & Demuxing" pane, you'll see an MPEG Video Stream  and probably a couple of AC3 Audio Streams; if the audio stream has an "AudioDelay" tag, check the "Fix & Correct AC3 Delay" box.
            4. Select the audio stream you want, and click the Demux button; pick a save  location and file name, and hit Save. You can also demux the video stream to an M2V file if you want; just follow the same practice. When done, you can close ReJig.
            5. Import the demuxed audio and (optionally) video, sync-and-link them, and edit away. If you didn't demux the video, you can use the original VOB and replace its audio with the demuxed audio.
            • 4. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Thanks for the rec. for ReJig. I am not familiar with it, but would like to add your suggestions to the DVD-VOB article, as this is about the third supplemental Audio from VOB, in the past few months.

Appreciated, and if you have no problems with my adding your instructions, I'll update the article.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                eidnolb onlyone Level 5

Hi, Please pardon me for posting here. Bill can you give this person some direction please? Flash Player is ok. I wasn't sure where he should post, so I suggested LR3.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/824391?tstart=30

Thank you,

eidnolb/Flash Player Forum

• 6. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                  digitlman Level 1

I'm sorry i should have given a few more details in my original post. I have been converting and importing mpg files from dvd's for years without any problems. Thanks for the tips, but that is really a CS4 issue. I had high hopes with CS5 supposedly having native vob support that i can edit directly and not have to waste time converting anything.

CS5 does import and edit VOB files from dvd's just fine. I am very happy so far until i just ran into a disk that was authored with the commentary track first so premiere defaulted to only giving me that audio track, i thought that maybe there would be a setting or something somewhere to select the other audio track or something.

I demuxed the disk just fine and got what i needed but would like to know for the future how to resolve this issue.

If there is no way to get the 2nd audio track then i would consider that to be a bug that hopefully Adobe can fix in next patch.

Ideally when you import a vob fileset premiere should automatically drop all the audio tracks into the timeline, not just the first one.

thanks

• 7. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                    digitlman Level 1

I also should have mentioned that all those other methods are not really recommended or needed as you can get a great little app called VOB2MPG that simply extracts the disk into a single remuxed .MPG file with one click that is essentially the exact same video from the disk in the proper container. I have have been using it for years without a problem.

• 8. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, I would not see this as a Bug, but due to the structure of the VOB itself. Same with Subtitles. They are supplemental and PrPro's VOB support (and CS4, as of at least CS4.2.1) is relegated to the primary streams. It would be the same thing with DTS, ProLogic, etc. Now, you might wish to file a Feature Request to have the VOB support expanded to supplemental material in VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you mind if I add VOB2MPEG to that article, as well?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

... would like to know for the future how to resolve this issue.

If there is no way to get the 2nd audio track then i would consider that to be a bug that hopefully Adobe can fix in next patch.

Ideally when you import a vob fileset premiere should automatically drop all the audio tracks into the timeline, not just the first one.

Don't use a DVD, plain and simple. The fact that we can edit this stuff at all is just a handy shortcut that works most of the time. I suspect that, given the nature of the material and the far greater precedence for native editing of professional camera sources, this is about as good as its going to get. You can certainly report it as a bug (which its not) or request it as a feature, but I sincerely doubt that this would be given a great deal of priority.

I'm not saying this just to be a jerky naysayer: the fact is that there is limited time and resources that go into development of each point release and each full version, and the things that benefit the most people have the greater likelihood of being fixed or included. I'd be surprised if even 1% of Premiere users needed this functionality. Believe me--I've wanted dozens of things that I know won't ever make it into the program, simply because they won't benefit many people. But make a feature request and see what happens...

• 11. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                            digitlman Level 1
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

the_wine_snob wrote:

Do you mind if I add VOB2MPEG to that article, as well?

Thanks,

Hunt

Sure Bill its a great little app called "VOB2MPG"  from a company called "badgerit"  (.com)

one click and you get a single muxed mpg file with your audio and video.

Although i have to disagree with you on the dvd issue in CS5 i would not consider an audio track to be "supplemental dvd material"

This isnt like extras or something on a dvd. it is very common for dvd's to have multiple languages on the vob file like english and spanish, and you just select the one you want to hear. it is intertwined as you know in the vob with the video and other audio tracks. Adobe has to actually go out of their way to ignore the other audio tracks when they play the vob file in the timeline. It would seem to be very easy technically for their top notch programmers to let premiere show the other tracks in the timeline with the first one.  This is very simple and i'm surprised they didnt already think of this when they were sitting around discussing how to implement vob file editing support in CS5.

• 12. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                              digitlman Level 1
                              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Colin Brougham wrote:

... would like to know for the future how to resolve this issue.

Don't use a DVD, plain and simple. The fact that we can edit this stuff at all is just a handy shortcut that works most of the time. I suspect that, given the nature of the material and the far greater precedence for native editing of professional camera sources, this is about as good as its going to get. You can certainly report it as a bug (which its not) or request it as a feature, but I sincerely doubt that this would be given a great deal of priority.

I'm not saying this just to be a jerky naysayer: the fact is that there is limited time and resources that go into development of each point release and each full version, and the things that benefit the most people have the greater likelihood of being fixed or included. I'd be surprised if even 1% of Premiere users needed this functionality. Believe me--I've wanted dozens of things that I know won't ever make it into the program, simply because they won't benefit many people. But make a feature request and see what happens...

wow??  what a terrible, mean, and unnecessary negative response?  "jerky naysayer" ??  never heard that term, but it sounds accurate.

Thats like walking up to someone and saying "i dont mean to be cruel, but your fat and ugly"

anyways, not sure what your point is, other than you have a crystal ball that tells you less than 1% of the premiere users in the world ever need to grab a b-roll from a dvd and i think i could find plenty of people who would disagree with you. I have been doing digital video editing for 20 years and been using premiere for about 15 years now i think since it first came out. I work at a tv station with lots of other video editors and we have all needed to pull a clips off dvd's many times in our lives. Im sorry that i dont have an XDCAM HD video tape of the first moon launch to capture, so for now i have to grab a clip from a dvd.

Thanks for your attempted "help" but i'd rather you not hiijack my thread by negating my questions and requests. My company has purchased probably over a million dollars in adobe software licenses over the years and there is nothing wrong with my opinions and requests.

thanks

• 13. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I dropeed by that thread, with my tests of AdobeTV material. All worked perfectly for me, and with two different browsers.

Thanksf for the pointer.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                  wow??  what a terrible, mean, and unnecessary negative response?

Oh please.  "Lighten up, Francis."

there is nothing wrong with my opinions and requests.

Absolutely correct.  Please notice that Colin ended his post with:

But make a feature request and see what happens...

There's a lot we don't know about each other.  Here in the virtual world, there's often no way to tell an ENG pro from a high-schooler ripping the DVD he rented from Blockbuster.  *Most* times, no insult is intended with suggestions for workflow, and everyone needs to get thicker skins.

My moderator's perspective,

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Heh If you took that as a "terrible, mean, and unnecessary negative response," you're being just a little bit too sensitive. Lest you forget, I did actually provide you with a way to work with the material--you're welcome, by the way. And, I'm merely suggesting that this isn't a bug, won't be changed with a bug fix, and is also not likely to change in the future. I did also recommend making a feature request, but beyond that, there's not much I or anyone else can do.

But hey, if that's a "terrible, mean, and unnecessary negative response," I must be the forum's Ivan the Terrible

PS: Thanks, Jeff... glad at least somebody gets it

• 16. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Although i have to disagree with you on the dvd issue in CS5 i would not consider an audio track to be "supplemental dvd material"

Well, the primary Audio Track is supported, and it's, well those Audio Tracks, that are officially called "supplemental," that are not. Those are only accessible via a Menu, or via the player's remote Audio control.

Whether there is enough support for the capability to extract the "other" Audio streams, or Subtitles, is something that only Adobe can decide, based on the number of requests for this feature, and on the cost of developing, and implementing it in future versions.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I well remember when Adobe announced VOB support in CS4, at the point of one of the updates - the forum subscribers almost to the person, asked "why?" Now, this forum is but a tiny sub-set of PrPro users, and since that inclusion, many users have expressed pleasure that it was added, but it was still not something that most could see the use for, when other things needed to be addressed. PrElements had that for about two versions before, so about two years, considering that program's life-cycle.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                                          eidnolb onlyone Level 5

Hi Bill, Thank-you.

eidnolb

• 19. Re: Different Audio Tracks when you import DVD VOB Files
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            anyways, not sure what your point is

The point was basically not to get your hopes up on this one working as you'd like it to.  It's probably a long shot.