4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2007 11:38 AM by Peter Lorent

Flash Disection

Berall
      Hello everyone. There is a lot of good work out there as we all know. Like any engineer reverse engineering an object to study it, I love to take great websites apart (dissecting them) to study them. To learn the methodology of my betters.

Trouble is I've been out of the loop for a while. I took a flash hiatus for about 2 years, and now I cannot make heads or tails of what Im seeing! I know each flash file references other flash files, but no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to find where they are leading to. A lot of the work online that I dissect has this, so Im guessing its a technique or feature that I am not aware of. Can anyone help? Set me straight? What technique is this? How can I replicate it?

I must stress:
      I am NOT trying to steal anything from anyone. I am merely trying to improve my skills by observing other's work

Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Flash Disection
          MaxManNH Level 2
          When you say references other flash files are you referring to class files or other swf files?
          • 2. Re: Flash Disection
            Peter Lorent Level 2
            Do NOT reverse engineer anything but your own work. Man, learn from books, online tutorials or visit seminars, whatever. Don't ever touch other peoples work. There isn't a valid reason on the globe to reverse engineer other peoples work, including the lame excuse that you just want to learn from it. If the people that wrote the swf wanted you to learn from it, they probably would have published a tutorial themselves. If you want to become a good developer, start by following some basic rules. Respect other developers and don't touch their work. Not ever.
            • 3. Re: Flash Disection
              jak9942 Level 1
              i would highly recommend reverse engineering websites just so long as you respect there work, do not publish any of it to the public and perhaps ask the author first. Reverse engineering is how i know as much i know and any work i release is avalible to anyone who needs, get a little, give a little. Just return the favour to those who need it and in my eyes that is fine. (Oh and if they specifically ask you not to, DONT)

Jak
              • 4. Re: Flash Disection
                Peter Lorent Level 2
                >>and perhaps ask the author first.
                Perhaps? I really don't get this mentality. If people want to share things they usually go open source. If they don't, well, you can count on it that they don't want you to reverse engineer their stuff. Usually it has taken a lot of effort to create something that stands out, and there is a client to consider who paid the bill for the development. Just by reverse engineering software you become a common thief. And ultimately you end up using the things you've learned from the stuff you stole. Man, I really disgust this.