8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 12:23 PM by Jim_Simon

Render speeds

nlm714 Level 1

Hello,

What is a good ratio for render speeds? I know it all depends on computer specs.But I am averaging about 16 minutes for a 6 minute video.

Here are mine:

AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T 3.2GHZ

2TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE

16GB of Memory

AMD RADEON HD6870 1GB DDR5 PICE

64GB KINGSTON 2.5 IN SATA SSD MLC

• 1. Re: Render speeds
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Render and export speeds depend on several factors.

The source material, the render/export specifications, effects used, GPU acceleration on or off, and finally the hardware of your system.

With so many variables, there's just no way to say what an average time should be.

The only thing that can be said is that, all else being equal, if you want a faster export, you need a faster CPU (and now with CS5, also a faster GPU.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Render speeds
            Harm Millaard Level 7

With those specs, your system would be around 20 times slower than a fast Intel based system with a CUDA/MPE card, maybe even slower. So your export times of 16 minutes on a fast system would be less than a minute and that does appear very resonable for a 6 minute timeline. Your major hiccup is AMD with the lacking SSE4.1+ support.

• 3. Re: Render speeds
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Jim that there are just too many variables, but you can benchmark your system, to make sure that you are getting the most out of it, with no bottlenecks. Run the PPBM5 Benchmark, and follow the instructions for submitting your results.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Render speeds
                nlm714 Level 1

I tried to open the Benchmark sequence and it said the codec wasn't supported. I am kind of in a transition going from a mac to

PC so my Adobe serials are en route.

• 5. Re: Render speeds
                  nlm714 Level 1

What would you recommend to speed it up?

• 6. Re: Render speeds
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

A faster CPU.  An i7 950 or i7 2500K are decent starting points for today's media.

• 7. Re: Render speeds
                      nlm714 Level 1

So I would have to switch my motherboard to an Intel and get a CPU Intel chip?

• 8. Re: Render speeds
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

You don't "have to" get an Intel CPU.  I personally think the two mentioned are probably the best options currently on the market as a starting point.  You can get a little better, you can get a lot worse.

If you do decide on the Intel route, then yes, you'll need a new motherboard and possibly new memory as well.