12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 4:59 PM by jovenator Branched to a new discussion.

Is it possible to move photos?

jovenator

I'm looking to move photos around programatically. The basic equivalent of dragging a folder around in the Folders hierarchy. I can see how I could "move" any old file with LrFileUtils, but I want LR to keep track of the move in its index.

Thanks,

Andy

• 1. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
          areohbee Level 5

"Is it possible to move photos?"

No.

I hate leaving it at that, but its darn near that simple.

I mean some of us have come up with elaborate compromises to work-around the limitation in some plugins, but there is no way to remove a photo from the catalog, nor change its folder or path...

I hope this is remedied in Lr4. Consider submitting an official feature request since Adobe may not be reading this forum anymore - no peep from them here in many months...

I consider this a big limitation of the SDK.

Rob

• 2. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
            DawMatt Level 3

Hi,

areohbee wrote:

there is no way to remove a photo from the catalog, nor change its folder or path

As Rob mentioned this is not currently possible.  Please raise a feature request if you would like to see this remedied in future.

To be fair I can see why Adobe might not want to do this. If they add this feature who's support desk do you think will be called when a plugin error causes photos to be lost or the catalog to no longer link to photos?  Even though someone else's code causes the problem they will still be blamed, or at least implicated.  Any code using such a feature would need to be bulletproof.

areohbee wrote:

I hope this is remedied in Lr4. Consider submitting an official feature request since Adobe may not be reading this forum anymore - no peep from them here in many months...

For the sake of clarity, you should not assume that any post in this forum will result in a change to the product, be it the resolution of a bug or addition of a new feature, unless an Adobe employee responds to the thread to confirm it is being included.  If you have a bug you need resolved or feature to be added please report it here.  This forum is great for discussing and clarifying bugs and features before submitting them but it is not a replacement for the official form.

Matt

• 3. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
              areohbee Level 5

I doubt Adobe has deliberately witheld this feature for fear of being blamed or being bombarded with support calls.

I remember I made such a suggestion when Eric Scouten was hanging out in the forum after Lr3 first came out and he vehemently corrected me.

There are plenty of functions that can cause damage already by a plugin, an API for renaming a photo would not be much worse...

R

• 4. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
                alex krylov Level 1

Yes, the best way to prevent such thing is to remove API at all. Nothing allowed, no harm is possible.

As ugly workaround. I move photos with LrFiles.move and then add them to catalog. It's terrible, it leaves "ghost" photos in previous location, it does not preserve LR metadata in DB.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
                  areohbee Level 5

Right. And some ideas in case you are not dissuaded yet:

- A "DELETE_THESE_NOW" collection (for the ghosts).

PS - Metadata in xmp comes along for the ride (but it had better be up-to-date), so its not as bad as it could be, and a robust plugin could also attempt to maintain collections and stack order and virtual copies (that latter would require keystroke emission, since there is no API for creating a virtual copy). Ugly, but doable...

Personally, I'm waiting for the photo:rename function.

R

• 6. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
                    johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Another use-case for moving and renaming: My Any File plugin doesn't support users renaming or moving files.  If a user renames or moves the proxy thumbnail in the catalog, the original file is left behind in the original location, and confusion ensues.  The SDK doesn't provide any good ways of handling that.

• 7. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
                      DawMatt Level 3

areohbee wrote:

I doubt Adobe has deliberately witheld this feature for fear of being blamed or being bombarded with support calls.

I remember I made such a suggestion when Eric Scouten was hanging out in the forum after Lr3 first came out and he vehemently corrected me.

OK. Don't remember that thread but I'll stand corrected. Regardless, there are plenty of SDK feature requests reported (aren't there Rob? ) so I'm sure the time required to get this feature bulletproof vs quantity of plugins that would use it wouldn't be helping it percolate to the top of the priority list.

Matt

• 8. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
                        DawMatt Level 3

Sounds like there are a few developers here that have plugin ideas that aren't achievable, or have existing plugins with missing features, because this SDK function has not been provided.

If you want to see this feature added to the SDK then please submit a feature request if you haven't done so already. This gives us the best shot at seeing it in the next major Lightroom release.

Thanks,

Matt

• 9. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
                          areohbee Level 5

I have the feeling Adobe has their hands full with critical Lr bug fixes and performance/reliability considerations in a difficult economy (and some instability in the Lightroom group, as evidenced by their search for a new Lightroom product manager, Eric Scouten's recent departure...).

So, no feature requests are making it to the top of the list at the moment - evidenced by no updates of any kind since Lr3.0.

But I do think LOTS of plugins would make use of photo renaming and moving - maybe not the ones deemed most important to Adobe, I mean we'll see when Lr4 comes out...

Rob

• 10. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
                            DawMatt Level 3

areohbee wrote:

I have the feeling Adobe has their hands full with critical Lr bug fixes and performance/reliability considerations in a difficult economy (and some instability in the Lightroom group, as evidenced by their search for a new Lightroom product manager, Eric Scouten's recent departure...).

So, no feature requests are making it to the top of the list at the moment - evidenced by no updates of any kind since Lr3.0.

That's a little melodramatic.

Yes there has been some changes in the team (don't know all the specifics) but Tom is still around so they are probably looking for an additional (not replacement) product manager.

I assume by "no feature requests" you mean "no SDK feature requests". This is not unusual.  With LR2 there were few SDK features added during dot releases. 

areohbee wrote:

But I do think LOTS of plugins would make use of photo renaming and moving - maybe not the ones deemed most important to Adobe, I mean we'll see when Lr4 comes out...

I think Export and Publish service plugins are the most prevalent and I don't see any of these using this feature. Utility services, such as the ones you and I develop, may use it depending upon their purpose. I guess the prioritisation will become clear when the next major version becomes available.

Matt

• 11. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
                              areohbee Level 5

DawMatt wrote:

That's a little melodramatic.

You can call it what you want, but it's true. I mean, Adobe could fix bugs in the SDK and release new features with each dot release, or at least drop us a line so new (and existing) developers knew which things dont work as advertised in the SDK (the reported and easily verifiable and easily documentable things, at a minimum) and Chet Drarvik could participate in the SDK forum like Eric Scouten used to. But they haven't, and he doesn't. Y'all draw your own conclusions, or not, but I'm sayin' - things have changed, and some of us have noticed... Dont get me wrong - my aim is not to bash Adobe. But if these things dont indicate they have their hands full with more important bugs, or they are struggling in this economy, or are ripping Lightroom apart for an Lr4 that'll shock & awe the photography world..., then I take back the benefit of the doubt I've been giving and you can take this as negative criticism.

DawMatt wrote:

I think Export and Publish service plugins are the most prevalent and I don't see any of these using this feature.

I think you're right. But, I hope they implement restructuring / renaming functions just the same... Lightroom's batch renaming is very weak - and it's ripe for a juicy restructure/rename plugin.  And it would be useful for other plugins too - beside the export / publishers...

R

• 12. Re: Is it possible to move photos?
                                jovenator Level 1

Fantastic info in this thread everyone. Thanks!