8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 11:48 AM by Mylenium

Adobe video and audio applications crash on start up (CS4)

KvNly1990

The audio or video editing software in my cs4 master suite make it past initialising core media on start up. I get an error dialog box telling me the software cant continue and to contact customer support. I have updated my video card drivers and downloaded the latest driver for after effects cs4. The after effects update has resulted in two additional error message boxes " Crash occured in second part of invoking codec" and "crash in progress"

.Photoshop runs, however a warning message appears saying "photoshop has encountered problems with the display driver and has temporarily disabled gpu enhancements. Check video card manufacturer' website for latest software" This message still continues to come up even though i have installed the latest drivers.

These problems began a few months back after i had given my laptop to a person at my college who installed "media player classic" and an earlier version of quicktime. He also said he changed the default video players and to the best of his knowledge that was all he did.  Luckily it has not been too relevant to my college work until now.  Please if anyone has any ideas on how i can fix this problem... do tell

thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe video and audio applications crash on start up (CS4)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This message still continues to come up even though i have installed the latest drivers.

And on what graphics card? Sorry, but you are being far too vague and not providing any sensible info. That's even more so, as what you wrote here

" Crash occured in second part of invoking codec" and "crash in progress"

seems to very much relate to that as well and would indicate a hardware acceleration issue. however, the answer is probably here

These problems began a few months back after i had given my laptop to a person at my college who installed "media player classic" and an earlier version of quicktime.

Looks like that wasn't the only thing he installed... MPClassic itself is harmless as is QT, but it would appear he also outfitted you with all these unnecessary rubbish CoDec packs and now you are FUBAR'd. You could try getting rid of it all and reinstalling all Adobe software, but from experience, you are probably facing a full OS reinstall....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Adobe video and audio applications crash on start up (CS4)
            KvNly1990 Level 1

sorry my graphics card is an Ati mobility radeon hd 4250

and the  full errors read

1    "After Effects error: crash occured in second part of incoking codec: "3ivx MPEG-4 .0.?3ivxMPEG-4 5.0.2 Video Codec", driver: "C:\Windows\system32\3ivx\/fWCodec.dll". Please update to the latest version of that codec

2 After Effects error: Crash in progress. Last logged message was: <3148><ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry> <0> Unable to obtain the User 'Language' registry key at : Software\Adobe\AfterEffects\9.0.3\ Defaulting to 'en_US'.

3 After Effects cant continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. See Http.......adobe support... for known issues. If you still can't resolve the issue please contact Adobe Technical Support

How would i go about  removing the codecs?

• 3. Re: Adobe video and audio applications crash on start up (CS4)

The Add or Remove Programs panel is your friend... If a CoDec  isn't listed there, you will need to find out its DLLs and otehr program  components using tools like GSpot, Virtual Dub or MovieInfo and then unregister them manually using regsrv -u codecnamehere.dll etc.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Adobe video and audio applications crash on start up (CS4)
                KvNly1990 Level 1

this seems like on hell of a job. How would i be able to tell if a codec is on my computer when it isnt listed in Add or Remove programs? Also how will i know which codecs are unecessary or damaging as opposed to the safe ones i need to watch videos?

• 5. Re: Adobe video and audio applications crash on start up (CS4)
                  KvNly1990 Level 1

this seems like on hell of a job. How would i be able to tell if a codec is on my computer when it isnt listed in Add or Remove programs? Also how will i know which codecs are unecessary or damaging as opposed to the safe ones i need to watch videos?

• 6. Re: Adobe video and audio applications crash on start up (CS4)

this seems like on hell of a job.

It is...

How would i be able to tell if a codec is on my computer when it isnt listed in Add or Remove programs?

All  the tools I mentioned provide lists of installed CoDecs vs. missing  CoDecs when you attempt to open or inspect a file with them. Other than  that a CoDec list on Win XP is available in your multimedia control  panel or can be viewed from Media Players help page.

Also how will i know which codecs are unecessary or damaging as opposed to the safe ones i need to watch videos?

That's  a circular argument of sorts. If you need them for viewing, you can't  possibly go without them, but they may not necessarily go down well with  AE or otehr Adobe apps. to complicate matters, there are tons of  sub-versions e.g. of DivX and Xvid, so you can't expect an all out  answer to your problem. If you need to work with those files, the  obvious thing to do would be to convert them first to something  "neutral" (Quicktime files with Animation or PNG compression for  instance) before wiping the CoDecs. A definite stinker is the K-Lite  CoDec pack, but this one is not to get rid of with a simple uninstall.  it wil ldefinitely require to reinstall all Adobe software and possibly  the whole operating system... Adobe CoDecs identify themselves as  adbxxxxxxx (Adobe) or mcpxxxxxx (Mainconcept) in the four CC infor e.g.  ion GSpot. All others you probably don't need. But again, as I said,  this may require a lot of surgery, as for many CoDecs you will need to  remove multiple entries and even manualyl clean up the Registry....

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Adobe video and audio applications crash on start up (CS4)
                      KvNly1990 Level 1

I  found the K-Lite codec pack in my installed programs list aswell as a 3ivx codec. I have uninstalled both. what is the next step?

"The Add or Remove Programs panel is your friend... If a  CoDec  isn't listed there, you will need to find out its DLLs and otehr  program  components using tools like GSpot, Virtual Dub or MovieInfo and  then unregister them manually using regsrv -u codecnamehere.dll etc."

could you please explain to me what "regsrv" is and how i would go about using it also what filetypes would their other program components be? Would they generally be found in the same folders or would they be dispersed throughout different parts of the hard disk? Basically how should i approach this "search + destroy" job. Please try to explain as simply as possible

thank you

• 8. Re: Adobe video and audio applications crash on start up (CS4)

regsrv.exe/ regsrv32.exe is the Windows Registry Server. Install programs use it all the time to tell Windows what components were added or removed from the system, but you can also initiate it manually. I suggest you look up the gory details on the Microsoft support pages. CoDecs are all in your Windows directory and its sub-folders and are DLLs or OCX controls plus possibly vendor specific sidecar files. In case of XVid and DivX they should easily be found with a normal file search. Anyway, the easiest way is really using one of those tools and have them list the stuff...

Mylenium