3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 1:30 PM by Bill Gehrke

SAS drives on RAID5

nathapushpa

Hi

I have connected three SCSI/SAS drives(600GB each, i.e.1.8TB on C drive) on RAID 5 with extra/separate 600GB SAS drive as Drive D(on SCSI controller too);. Can anyone mention how can I save PageFiles, Media Cache, Media, Projects, Previews and Exports files among these drives please?? Thanks

• 1. Re: SAS drives on RAID5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What is the specific reason to use three disks in a raid5 and a separate disk? Why not a four disk raid5?

Assuming a single disk has a sustained transfer rate of 120 MB/s, your raid5 will deliver - depending on your raid controller - around 200 MB/s. However if you were to use a four disk raid5, that would increase to around 300 MB/s.

Currently your fastest disk is the raid5, so from a performance POV that would be the ideal disk to store your page file, previews and media cache files on, but from a storage efficiency POV, the single disk would be more attractive.

My initial reaction, without knowing your arguments for the 3 + 1 configuration, would be to use a four disk raid5 array and store everything, page file, previews and media cache next to your project and media on the same array. Easy to configure and maintain.

• 2. Re: SAS drives on RAID5
            JaysonM-Y Level 3

It sounds like OP is using the 3 disk raid5 as his OS as well.

• 3. Re: SAS drives on RAID5
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Well he should then be using the one drive for his C: drive and the three drive RAID 5 as the project disk rather than bass ackward.