3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 9:04 AM by the_wine_snob

PRE8 "Blue Screens" attempting to write to DVD

TucsonJeff1

A freind of mine has asked that I put his "trip to China" on DVD. This consists of many AVI files, which I imported into PRE8. The total length of the video is one hour and thirty-two minutes, the biggest project I have ever worked on. Okay, so I set it up for DVD format with the start, stop, and scene markers. The Preview plays without problem. When I attempt to burn it to DVD, I immediately get the "blue screen of death." Ouch!  PRE8 won't even allow me to "burn" this project to my hard drive. My computer specs are below. Is this project just to large to be handled by PRE8? Oh, and yes, I set up System Configuration to run the utmost least in programs and TSR's after reboot. Thanks for any input!!

Jeff

Dell Inspiron 530s

Processor: 2.33 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo

64 kilobyte primary memory cache
      4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Memory: 4GB

Hard drive capacity: 640 GB

Display adaptor: ATI Radeon HD 2400 (with current drivers)

Realtek High Definition Audio

• 1. Re: PRE8 "Blue Screens" attempting to write to DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A Blue Screen of Death in Windows 7 is a sign of serious problems with your operating system. It's not unheard of -- but very rare. And it likely has nothing to do with Premiere Elements.

My books offer a number of solutions and optimized workflows.

First, go to the Dell web site, look up your computer model and download all of Dell's updates. Even if your computer is brand new, you'll likely find several!

Then manually go to Windows Update and download even the non-critical updates. And go to Apple.com and download the latest version of Quicktime.

You'll probably also want to go to the ATI web site and download the latest firmware for that graphics card and go to http://www.realtek.com.tw and download the latest version of those RealTek HD Audio Drivers.

There are also some tune-ups you should do, including removing .tmp files and defragmenting your hard drives -- but that's up to you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

Once you've stabilized your system, you can start working on your specific issues.

I'd start by trying to burn your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive rather directly to a disc. That can tell you if the main problem is your disc burner. (And, with a 64-bit operating system, it may be.)

If that doesn't work, you can start troubleshooting your project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PRE8 "Blue Screens" attempting to write to DVD
            nealeh-0Xf0QT

Duration is unlikely to be the cause unless you have inadequate defragmented free disk space. I have worked with up to three hours without problems (the source footage was poor so any further degradation from encoding was minimal).

Work your way through this PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips and post back with the details requested.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: PRE8 "Blue Screens" attempting to write to DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The most common causes of a BSOD are hardware issues, or a driver conflicting badly with the OS.

This article will give you more details, and some links to tools to check things out: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/772169?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt