23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 9:30 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10

Theomat67 Level 1

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anybody has an answer to this... as I'm trying to  "Get Media" from my Canon HFS10 into PrEl 9 and the message I'm getting  is: "This device does not contain any supported media."

Here is the specific window:

http://tedology.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous/Canonproblem3b/1224778328_ckPKv-S.jpg

The project setting: "Full HD 1080; 30".

I, too, have a Canon HFS10.

Is  it just that the software won't be able to retrieve it and I'll have to  do a workaround to get the footage? If so, could somebody please  suggest a good workaround?

Thanks very much.

Ted

• 1. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you connecting to the camcorder or a card reader?

You should keep the memory card in the camcorder, connect the cam by USB, turn it on and use Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Camcorder to get the video.

• 2. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
            Theomat67 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I tried to respond to your post, but for some reason it said I needed to re-log in here.

After a lengthy response, the forums deleted my post.

The essence of the post was:

I'm connected to the camcorder, not a card reader.

The footage is on the built-in memory, not the SD card.

The Canon shows up as Drive H.

When I navigate to Drive H, I see "Private" folder. If I open that up, I see AVCHD. If I open that up, I see BDMV. If I open that up, I see: BACKUP, CLIPNF, PLAYLIST and STREAM along with two files: INDEX.BDM and MOVIEOBJ.BDM.

The footage DOES show up on my Canon, but NOT in the H drive (Canon).

I'm at a loss.

• 3. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10

This kind of stuff is happening a lot with Windows 7 64-bit. That could be the case here.

Also, this is a multi-format camcorder -- so you must shoot only in FXP or, better, MXP mode in order to use the video in Premiere Elements.

Well, worst case you can just use Windows to navigate into your camcorder and manually move the M2TS files to your computer's hard drive from the camcorder.

Then, if your project is set up for AVCHD 1920x1080 Stereo, you should be able to import the video and edit it. (If not, change the video's suffix to M2T and the files should work.)

Also ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                Theomat67 Level 1

Hi Steve and thanks.

I'm shooting in MXP (I'm just glad I recognize that! LOL).

The thing is, I can't seem to navigate to get those files...because, as I said... I don't see them in the H drive.

I know that when I first connect my Canon, an "Autoplay" type window comes in and asks if I want to import using the Windows Media Importer.

Is there a way to call up the Windows Media Importer independently (ie. without connecting the Canon)?

Hmm... not sure about Quicktime. Could that be a cause for PE 9 not recognizing the files?

Again, you have my thanks.

• 5. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Ted is also posting this question elsewhere at a forum that I frequent.

RE: Suggested Workaround

That Canon HFS10 in the MXP Mode is recording to an internal Flash Memory or to a memory card. Apparently, from what Ted says here, Ted is using the internal Flash Memory. That MXP setting records 1920 x 1080 16:9, AVCDH video codec = MPEG4 AVC/H.264 and audio codec = Dolby Digital Stereo 2 channel. The bitrate for the MXP is 24 Mbps.The file extension is .mts, not .m2t, .m2ts, or other.

I have downloaded sample videos from his brand/model (recording mode MXP) camcorder, and they import fine into Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 with a project preset = NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders/Full HD1080i30, I brought the videos into the program with Get Media/Files and Folders. So the above should suffice for his workaround. By the way, that Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 that was used was installed on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (latest version of Quicktime and working from User Account with Administrative Priviledges).

RE: Download from Canon to Premiere Elements

Here I would suggest that Ted look at the project preset....

NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders/Full HD 1080i30

versus

NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30

Also, I have asked, but not received an answer yet, regarding whether he and his computer resources are prepared to deal with editing AVCHD.

I hope that this sort of wraps things together for quicker resolution to Ted's issue which he has opt'ed to post in more than one place. Ted, remember the answers are in the details, so, if you have any details that you forgot to mention, please post them whereas you are following up.

Thanks.

ATR

NOTE: This post was written and posted before seeing Ted's latest post.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10

Thanks for the post, Tony.

But are you saying that footage from this AVCHD camcorder doesn't work with the AVCHD preset? That the general purpose hi-def Hard Disk project settings work better?

With those settings, are you able to edit without initially rendering the video, as you can with AVCHD in Premiere Elements 9?

These hybrid/multi-format camcorders are proving to be a real challenge, and it would be very helpful to know of a best-case workaround.

• 7. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Using the MXP samples for this Canon as described in a prior post, I could use Get Media/Files and Folders to import those samples from my hard drive save location into Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1.

Whether I used the project preset

NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30

OR

NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders/Full HD 1080i30

the project accepted this AVCHD.mts, WITHOUT wanting to change the designated project preset. So it appeared, in this case for project preset purposes, that the program was not distinguishing between the source of the "Full HD 1030i30", that is NTSC AVCHD vs NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory camcorder.

Further, when the first sample was dragged to the Timeline (WITH EITHER PROJECT PRESET), there was no red line over the Timeline content, indicating that to get the best possible preview, you needed to render the Timeline, that is, press the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard.

I have not looked into the Fields implications of the project preset choice for this video. My focus has been to get beyond the media not being imported in the first place.

I have been trying to post this message for about 30 minutes. The system says I am not logged in when it clearly shows that I am. There seems to be a site posting problem which needs to resolved.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have my Canon Vixia here, but I think the files are located in a sub-folder named DCIM 

For my use I have Windows Explorer copy (or move) the MTS files to my hard drive

• 9. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I have been trying to post this message for about 30 minutes. The system says I am not logged in when it clearly shows that I am. There seems to be a site posting problem which needs to resolved.

That has been discussed off and on for MONTHS at http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

The forum administrators and Jive know about the problem... nobody has a solution

• 10. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

That has been discussed off and on for MONTHS

Seems that it took me MONTHS, just to get to this thread, and to post. Started at 6:30AM today, Tuesday 22, and it's now nearly 9:00AM. Love the forum...

To Ted, good luck, and it seems that you have some good folk working with you.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                              Theomat67 Level 1

ATR et. al.,

Thanks so very much for your helping me along this journey of learning. I promise to print all these out somehow and keep them in a notebook.

Also, I apologize for posting in other forums as well as Adobe's. I guess various forums have various etiquettes, so I need to be mindful to them. I just figured that the more information I can gather and dissect, the better it would be.

When I get home from work I'll be able to look at what I'm doing on PE 9 and give more accurate information. From my memory, I was using NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 and not NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders/Full HD 1080i30. I can certainly try the latter.

But, as Steve perhaps suggested, will that cause any problems for my editing it?

I'm thinking I need to invest in a Mac! LOL!

Again, thank you all for your patience. I'm an elementary school teacher so I know first-hand about patience with students who keep asking questions.

• 12. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

Also, I apologize for posting in other forums as well as Adobe's.

This is common practice, and nothing to be worried about. Now, as different fora will have different participants, you might get some duplicate answers, but also some useful answers in some fora, but not others. Probably the best that one can do is to include a link to the other forum disucssions, and if a solution is found, then update the other threads, so that others will benefit in the future.

I often post of my issues here, and then in Creative Cow, and probably Muvipix. More eyes, with different levels of expertise, backgrounds and experiences. If an answer comes from, say Muvipix, I will add that to each of my other posts.

The forum here works on a couple of levels:

People post of problems, and hopefully get useful replies.

People come to the forum, looking for answers, and often find existing threads that are useful.

That is why I always urge posters to update their threads, and especially if they locate a solution. Others WILL benefit. We see many posts, to older threads, with notes like, "Thank you so much. This old thread provided just the answer that I needed for my problem."

Hope that you will have total resolution, and we do not care where it comes from (though we like it best, when someone here provides it... ). Just please update here, when you do get that resolution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                  Theomat67 Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks very much for your kindness.

I'll be happy to provide the other links, because what you propose makes perfect sense.

Here is the link to the Elements Village:

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?p=573810#post573810

and the link to the MuviPix:

http://www.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=9245

I have never heard of Creative Cow, but now you've piqued my interest. I shall go check it out promptly.

Thanks again!

Edited to Add: Okay, took a quick at Creative Cow. It's the Babe Ruth to my Peewee League. 

Message was edited by: Theomat67 - 11:37 AM, March 22, 2011.

• 14. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I find the Cow to be better suited for PrPro and AE discussions (also Adobe Encore), as those are often the programs being used. Lot of great material there, but a bit more geared to the "pro."

Still, lot of great tutorials, and discussions, but one might have to interpolate a bit to PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                      Theomat67 Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Yes, I completely see that about CC.

Once I figure out how to get this footage into the software, I think I'll save up my coins and dollars (very easy to do with a huge teacher's salary), and purchase a PE 9 book by one of my favorite Italian authors. 

• 17. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You know, one of the nice things about that, is all you have to do is drop by here, or Muvipix, and you can "meet the author." Try that with Stephen King...

I heartily recommend Steve's books, and also his articles on Muvipix.

Enjoy and happy editing,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                          Theomat67 Level 1

I agree and I very much like his video tutorials.

Now, if we can only convince him to create a video tutorial for each section of his book and sell it as a DVD, we'd be set.

After all, that's why I have two monitors (another one of Steve's articles emphasize that!  )

• 19. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                            Theomat67 Level 1

Okay, Tony suggested the more details I post, the better.

I took his excellent advice and found the path where my camcorder goes. And it was an interesting experiment... because it shows up in TWO places (odd!). It shows up as  Canon (I): and Removable Drive (H):

http://tedology.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous/Canonproblem7b/1225397122_ubS44-S.jpg

If I safely "eject" the camcorder, then H goes away first. If I unplug the camcorder, then Canon (I) is soon to follow.

Now, looking in H proves fruitless, but when I look in Canon (I), I find a folder deep inside called "Streams"... as shown here:

http://tedology.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous/Canonproblem8b/1225397121_8KNwP-S.jpg

And lo and behold... there are my clips!

So, I'm going to continue to try more of Tony's ideas and will keep you all in the loop (if that's okay). 

Thanks again for your patience!

• 20. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                              Theomat67 Level 1

Okay, I tried another idea from Tony (from Village Forums):

Instead of a preset of:

AVCHD Full HD 1080i30

I tried a preset of:

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders Full HD 1080i30.

Still no luck in importing media from the camcorder. In fact, I can't even click "Refresh" to get my Canon (I) drive to appear!

So, I WAS able to follow another suggestion; just use Get Media from Files and Folders and even under BOTH of the above presets, I was able to import it.

I guess I just need to accept the fact (as Miss Moppett pointed out) that it's a fantasy to get the footage directly from the camcorder. That's understandable... it's not like Canon is any type of name in the camera industry.

A couple more questions Tony asked me and I don't want him thinking I'm ignoring his generous help:

"Please let us know the outcome. One thing at a time, but are you and your computer resources prepared to process AVCHD Full at this high bitrate?"

I'm not sure how I'd go about finding if my resources are sufficient. However, I'm a willing student. I am the Luke to your Yoda.  (Such a geek!)

http://tedology.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous/Canonproblem9b/1225421292_pAiM5-S.jpg

If you feel that my resources are NOT enough, please offer advice to how I can beef it up.

Another question Tony asked:

"Add On...You probably have, but I will ask anyway. Is there a place in  Set Up for activating a USB Mass Storage setting to enable the download  from the camcorder side of things? What does your Canon User Manual say  about settings for a download?"

I looked through my manual and I don't see any option to set up a default location to download the footage. I know that Image Mixer (as per what Miss Moppett suggests) DOES come up sometimes... and of course, there is Windows Media Importer that is an option when Autoplay comes up.

So, it seems I have a few options to get footage into my computer:

1. Use PE 9 to Import Media from Files & Folders (as mentioned above).

2. Use ImageMixer (if/when it comes up -- not sure how to start that independently).

3. Use Windows Media Importer (via Autoplay).

I'm leaning to "3" only because it seems this way I can store the raw footage on my External HD. Whereas with "1", once I import the media through PE 9, the footage is just part of the project, but STILL on the camcorder yes? Or is it located somewhere on my HD?

I apologize profusely for all the questions and appreciate your patience. 

• 21. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The reason that your camera appears in two places, is because it has both onboard memory and a flash card, so if that card is inserted, you should see two possible mass storage devices.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                                  Theomat67 Level 1

Of course! That's a certain "duh" moment. I should've thought about that. 

Thanks, Hunt.

• 23. Re: Problem getting footage into PrEl 9 with my Canon HFS10
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, the first time that I plugged in a multi-card reader, I was amazed to see about 8 new Mass Storage devices appear in Windows Explorer. Then it dawned on me - 8 slots = 8 devices.

Happy editing,

Hunt