2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 11:48 AM by JBruins

Sharing files in Reader

JBruins

We are trying to share PDFs over a company network, but are having problems with people not being able to save their changes. Some of our employees work at a site that is out of state, but they are still connected to the company network. We have about six people who are all trying to review the same manual(s), but they are all having problems saving their comments. The PDF has been enabled for commenting in Reader. We would like to find a way to be able to share these documents and not have to worry about someone else having the same file open. We have thought about using Google Docs, but I would like to make this as simple as possible. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Sharing files in Reader
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Instead of using Reader-extended files and saving the comments back to the master on the server (which will of course fall over if the file is locked by another user), why not use Shared Review in Acrobat? This tracks the comments using a server (your own or Acrobat.com) so each user makes comments on their own independent copy, synchronizing theirs with everyone elses in real time. You as the review initiator can then import the comments via Tracker into your master copy of the file, but as nobody else is writing to the file on the server, there are no locking issues.

• 2. Re: Sharing files in Reader
            JBruins Level 1

Dave,

Can you explain how to use Shared Review? I found the button under "Comments," but how do I use it and then import the edits?