4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 12:57 PM by toolsavvy

Windows XP cannot open Reader

toolsavvy

I have a problem that started about a month ago.  Everytime I try to open a PDF in Adobe Reader (9 or 10) or if I just try to open up the reader alone, Windows XP SP3 gives me one of 2 error messages...

1.  Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

adobe error 1.GIF

2. The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

adobe error 2.GIF

So today I decided to repair the install.  That did not fix the problem.

The next thing I decided to do was to uninstall Adobe reader 9 and do a fresh install o fthe latest version, 10.

As soon as installation completed I was able to open up one PDF file.  After I closed it and tried opening up Adobe Reader 10 alone or anopther PDF (or even that same PDF), I got the same errors above. 

So unistalling and reinstalling Reader did not fix the problem either.  I still have the same exact problem as when I had reader 9 installed.

I tried searching Adobe support and forums for these errors and I cannot find anything at all, which I find rather odd.  Even a google search turns up nothing for me.

Can someone please help me to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.