4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 3:26 PM by Paul R1

File saving for future editing from Panasonic HDV camera

Paul R1

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted last, things seem to have changed quite a bit with all these new formats! At least some of the names helping with answers look familiar :-)

So I have access to a Panasonic HDC-SD80 AVCHD camera for an upcoming holiday. This is a camera that writes to SD cards. My plan is to copy over the necessary files (.mts, .m2ts) from the SD card to an external hard drive via a netbook which my sister in law is bringing along. I am planning to put the SD card straight into the SD card reader on the netbook and attatch the external drive in one of its 3 USB ports.

However the camera comes with HD writer AE 3.0 software which the manual tells me to use copy over the files, apparently if I use Windows Explorer to copy the files it wil result in them being unusable with the writer 3.0 software.

The file structure the camera uses is quite elaborate. I don't really want to mess around too much with the netbook other than use it to transfer the files if possible.

So would dragging and dropping the files render them useless for PE9 and NLE's in general? and how much of the structure do I need to drag over to the external hard drive, just the BDMV folder which contains the .mts files? or perhaps the whole Private folder also? Should I transfer from the cam instead of using the SD card reader?

Unfortunately my ageing PC - still running PE1 LOL!! - isn't quite up to the job and it may be a while before I can afford to upgrade and edit hence the need to save the relevent folders correctly, especially as this is a once in a lifetime type of holiday.

Look forward to your replies and guidance.

Many thanks,

Paul R

• 1. Re: File saving for future editing from Panasonic HDV camera
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Technically, it doesn't matter how you transfer the files from the camcorder to the computer -- Premiere Elements Get Media, Windows Explorer, etc. The video files are just moved as is from the cam's storage to your computer's.

About the only change Premiere Elements may make is to change the suffix, if necessary, to MTS or M2T, which you can also do manually if you have problems importing the video into a project.

As for your other questions: "So would dragging and dropping the files render them useless for PE9 and  NLE's in general? and how much of the structure do I need to drag over  to the external hard drive, just the BDMV folder which contains the .mts  files? or perhaps the whole Private folder also? Should I transfer from  the cam instead of using the SD card reader?"

This is why it's best to use Premiere Elemnts' Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD Hard Drive Camcorder tool. It will get the right files directly from the camcorder, and you don't have to mess with all the other junk. All you have to do is ensure your project is set up with a project setting that matches your camcorder's specs.

BTW, your topic header calls the video from your camcorder HDV video. Technically HDV video is from tape-based hi-def camcorder. The format it saves the video to is very very different than AVCHD, so don't confuse the two!

• 2. Re: File saving for future editing from Panasonic HDV camera
            Paul R1 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Steve :-)

As I said, I need a major PC upgrade and latest PE version, but that will be at a later date. So unfortunately I won't be able to Get Media option! I'll copy over the BDMV folder from the SD card when it's full. The test video I've shot all appear to be .MTS files, so hopefully I won't have to mess about with the renaming files bit when I get the new PC and PE version and it will be simple enough to get media from my external drive.

Thanks also for the heads up on the HDV abbreviation. Things aren't as simple as they used to be!

Love the picture quality from the new cam, but I think the editing that will come with it is a whole new headache. Makes some of the issues we had with PE1 look like child's play! Still, interesting and good fun.

Many thanks again,

Paul

• 3. Re: File saving for future editing from Panasonic HDV camera
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Paul, just to be clear -- you're not still running version 1 of the program, are you?

Unfortunately, if that's the case, you won't be able to edit this video in Premiere Elements.

Support for hi-def didn't come until version 4, and full support for AVCHD didn't come until version 9.

If you're still using version 1, you're going to find working with the footage pretty frustrating, unfortunately.

• 4. Re: File saving for future editing from Panasonic HDV camera
                Paul R1 Level 1

Hi Steve,

No, definitely not using PE1 (I'm an AVCHD newbie, the old Sony Mini DV cam now consigned to the attic!), in fact the PC running it is so slow it's rarely switched on now - but that's another whole can of worms :-)

New PC and PE version as soon as cashflow improves, I'll just be storing the .mts files on an external drive until it arrives hence the questions.

In the end though I found working with PE1 a good experience thanks to all the help from the forum members, so will go with PE again when the time comes.

Paul