6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 12:02 AM by maddec

Can Cirrus be used in an ad-funded app?

slizzart

I'm developing an application and I wanted to put an ad in the begining. Will this violate Cirus EULA?

Is there a difference if the ads are in the website that hosts the application and not in it?

thanx.

• 1. Re: Can Cirrus be used in an ad-funded app?
          zworpp

I would also really like to get an answer to this.

• 2. Re: Can Cirrus be used in an ad-funded app?
            Chicohuman Level 1

Take Adobe's place.  If you earn quite a lot money while using THEIR servers, that's not fair. You would have to purchase your own server with FMS.

However if you just make a few bucks, I'm pretty sure Adobe won't care. But when your services and revenue grow, that might become a problem.

• 3. Re: Can Cirrus be used in an ad-funded app?
              slizzart Level 1

@Chicohuman: Of course this is the obvious answer, but not from Adobe

itself :). The other thing is why purchase the whole FMS while you

need only 1/5 of it (meaning only the rendezvous server). What I'm

gonna do is use Cirrus until my project works 100% and when I'm to go

public, I'll try the Camulus (opensource) project. If till then Adobe

offers an affordable rendezvous server with nothing more then I'll

stick back with it.

Nevertheless, I think that Adobe should clarify if Cirrus is forbidden

for commercial apps (meaning apps that are being sold) or for

ad-funded apps too. Ads may not even be part of the swf app itself but

somewhare in the html template. And think about Donation, they create

revenue too... So it would be more enlightening if they just said

"getting any type of revenue, from in or out your app, using Cirrus is

breaking the EULA".

thanx

• 4. Re: Can Cirrus be used in an ad-funded app?
                Chicohuman Level 1

Hey,

You don't have to purchase FMS 4 to use RTMFP, you can rent servers that have FMS 4, or use AWS (pay per use), which I think are pretty affordable once you scaled up your app. enough.

About you building apps and selling them, then I think it will be the responsibility of the buyers to chose what to use.

About donations, seems like that could be a flaw. I guess if you make much money from donation, you should stop using their servers.

Adobe reps didn't seem to answer that kind of question so far, but I think that if you listen to what Captain Obvious would say, it shouldn't really require further answers/explanation.

Imo, what I did too, is just use Cirrus to gain some leverage, and when you start commercializing/having revenue etc., you should use something else than Cirrus, which is also an advantage to you to have your own FMS4.

• 5. Re: Can Cirrus be used in an ad-funded app?
                  Jean F Karam

Cirrus is strictly for customers to build, test, and learn about P2P technology using RTMFP.  It is not meant to be used to drive any revenue.  Should you need to build a viable commerical business, you will need to buy or rent the usage of FMS Enterprise Edition.

As a customer you have several choices here:

(a) Amazon (b) www.influxis.com (c) purchase FMEN license from a reseller.

• 6. Re: Can Cirrus be used in an ad-funded app?
                    maddec

>As a customer you have several choices here:

>(a) Amazon (b) www.influxis.com (c) purchase FMEN license from a reseller.

and (d) LiveCycle Collaboration Service
                    http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/collaborationservice/

a,b (not sure),d is a pay what you use model c is a "one time" payment

Best regards.

Cedric M. aka maddec