2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2007 11:27 AM by robowriter

patches for RH X5

maniac9999 Level 1
      Ever since Monday, I've been receiving a message from RoboHelp asking me if I want to download and install updates. 've been saying "no" until I could get a second opinion (from the forum).

Is this the patch ( http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb07-10.html) that I'm probably being prompted to install? If so, are there any things to watch out for?

I have RH X5 5.01, I used to have 5.02. I have the 5.02 upgrade and I've been meaning to re-install it, but haven't gotten around to it. (We're not using source control anymore and I'll admit I've gotten lazy)

Thanks,
      Jim

• 1. Re: patches for RH X5
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi Jim. You are getting the message because you have set the "Automatically check for updates" option in the General tab available from the Tools > Options menu item. The update just provides a few bug fixes and support for Word 2003.
          • 2. Re: patches for RH X5
            robowriter
            Actually, SPXB07-10 is a "critical update." I just learned about it, and I'll freely admit that the documentation on installing the patch is so bad that I am unable to accomplish it. They want you to swap out two files. In my installation, I have two occurrences of one of the files (with different folders and different dates) and about 9 of the other (different folders, different dates), and I don't have a clue about what they want me to do.

They give multiple sets of instructions, one for customers who have "customized templates." So, what, exactly, does THAT mean? I guess it doesn't matter, since I don't know which files I'm supposed to act upon, anyway.

I did find a site that explains the big security problem, and it doesn't look like it's worth ruining my RoboHelp installation to fix it, since they can't be bothered to provide us with a decent, easy-to-use, well-explained patch. If you're interested, you can read about the security threat at:

http://www.devtarget.org/adobe-advisory-05-2007.txt