This content has been marked as final. Show 13 replies
Pricing for Flex Builder 3 will be announced later this year. We are working to make sure there is an attractive upgrade price for current Flex Builder 2 customers.
Just one other question and sorry if it has been asked before:
"Will Flex 3 expire in 30 days as when I launched the Flex3 builder it still asks for the License?" Will Flex2's License work here?
You can try the Flex Builder 3 beta for 30 days with no serial number. But you can also enter a valid Flex Builder 2 serial number to extend your beta until the end of October.
i entered my serials and it shows that they are valid, though the charting component is showing the trial watermark., even after a restart..
btw, i am using the eclipse plugin...
i this the expected behavior...?
I just purchased FlexBuilder 2 about 2 months ago. . Shouldn't 3 be free?
We just recently decided to dive into Flex as our main clientside technology resulting in us buying multiple copies of FB2. It would be a real dissapointment to find out that Adobe is not going to be offering a free upgrade (or at least very inexpensive) to all the developers that have made the commitment to Flex as a solution.
Also, I am getting the weird vibe that some of the great stuff that Ted Patrick has been blogging about (AdvancedDataGrid for example) is not going to be part of the SDK, but rather an additional add on library like charting. I hope I am mistaken. It would be great if someone could confirm that.
Same question here. I recently purchased FB2/Charting for personal use, and am tentatively planning to recommend Flex on a large project at work. A big part of my decision was Adobe's decision to go open-source; and while I'm certainly happy with much of what I've heard with the FB3 beta release, there is--as the previous poster points out--a weird vibe out there concerning what is or is not in the SDK.
It's one thing to position Charting as a value-add, but if components like AdvancedDataGrid, which seems like a fairly straightforward evolution/enhancement of DataGrid, are going to be held apart as "Data Visualization Components" and require non-trivial additional license fees, I don't know how confident I am in this technology choice. I love the foundation Flex provides, but if (a) new features == new expense, and (b) significant barriers to entry exist for potential component developers (and some of the most active/creative expect no barriers), I wonder if it'll take off the way it can and should.
Particularly if the community is going to be contributing with beta-testing and proposed patches, it seems like the SDK really oughta just be the SDK.
Here is the new pricing structure ...
It would be nice to get an answer to this popular question thou , as the info provided is a little unclear ..
If we aready have FB2 with Charting..how much do we need to shell out for an updgrade to FB3 Professional?
We are waiting for the release of FB3 Pro. We would love to buy multiple licenses of FB2 now and then upgrade to FB3, but the high upgrade costs of $299 for the upcoming release let us wait. ;-(
Has anyone figured out how we're supposed to, as the last link says, "purchase maintenance with Flex Builder 2 with Charting for $299 US and become eligible for a free-of-charge copy of Flex Builder 3 Professional edition when it ships."
I need to get FB2 + Charting ASAP, which is easy enough to find, but I don't want to get screwed over later and be told "Oh you have to purchase maintenance at the same time!" I can't find ANY retailers that sell "FB2 + Charting + Maint" for $1000. Is maintenance something you send in for after you purchase FB+Charting? How does this work? I'll obviously want FB3 Professional once it's ready. What am I missing?
Don't worry about maintenance. The upgrade price will likely be the same at this point.
The possible issue is that I'd prefer (if possible) to just purchase maintenance *now* as opposed to a few months down the road. (In a few months, the extra money needed for the upgrade, even if it costs the same, may not still be available.) I guess I'll just have to take that risk and hope that when it's upgrade time, the funding is there.