4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 7:07 AM by the_wine_snob

File saving and exporting

SEWERTWO Level 1

In PE 4 can I save or export movies i

n MPEG-2?  My undersdtanding is that AVI files  are much larger therefore transfer time over the net is much longer.  Thank You.

• 1. Re: File saving and exporting
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, you certainly can.

But you're not going to post an MPEG2 online, are you?

Where and how do you plan to display or distribute your video? This will determine the best format to use.

• 2. Re: File saving and exporting
            SEWERTWO Level 1

I transfer video to a client on line.  I thought Mpeg-2 would be  smaller.

In a message dated 3/23/2011 7:08:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Yes,  you certainly can.

But you're not going to post an MPEG2 online,  are you?

Where and how do you plan to display or distribute your  video? This will

determine the best format to  use.

• 3. Re: File saving and exporting
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Okay -- but how does the client plan to use it?

As I say in my books, you need to start at the end to get to the beginning.

When you know how the file is going to end up, you can figure out the best way to deliver it.

• 4. Re: File saving and exporting
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If your client will only be playing the file on a computer for comments, etc., then MPEG-2 should work fine. One option would be to use a CODEC, like DivX to compress the file more, but still give good playability and quality for playback. The client would need to have the DivX CODEC installed, but just the CODEC is free. An alternative would be for the client to use another player, that contains the DivX CODEC, like VLC Player, MediaPlayer Classic HC or GOM - all free. This would be wrapped in the AVI format, but heavily-compressed.

One of the WMV CODEC's would be good too, and compression can be pretty high, but still allowing for good playability. Nearly every PC should be able to play the WMV's, with no additional CODEC's needed.

With either MPEG-2, DivX or WMV, the uploaded material would NOT be good for the client to edit - just play back.

Good luck,

Hunt