6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 8:15 AM by joe bloe premiere

frame counters during RAM preview and playback

joe bloe premiere Level 5

It is my understanding that  I should be able to view the number
      of the currently processing frame during the course of a RAM preview
      in both the timeline counter (in frame display mode) and in the info panel.
      This is not working for me, and I would like to see if I am missing something.

Here is the status of the counters with a RAM preview in progress.
      The only updating frame counter is at the bottom of the composition window,
      and it would not be visible while processing a full-screen RAM preview.

RAM PREVIEW IN PROGRESS

COUNTER_RAMpreview.jpg

This is the status of the counters during playback of the RAM preview.
      The playback CTI is at about frame 90 of 912, but the counters in both the
      composition window and timeline are frozen at zero, while the info panel
      is frozen at the last frame number of the timeline (the last frame rendered).

RAM PLAYBACK IN PROGRESS

COUNTER_RAMplayback.jpg

During spacebar playback, only the composition window counter displays
      the current frame.  The timeline counter is frozen at the frame number where
      the CTI was parked when playback began (in this case, from frame 0).
      The info panel only displays the framerate of the playback.

STANDARD PREVIEW PLAYBACK

COUNTER_SpacebarPlayback.jpg

If I stop either a RAM or Standard preview playback using the spacebar
      the timeline counter will update to the CTI frame, but if playback resumes
      the counter stays frozen where the CTI was parked when resuming playback.
      I am experiencing this behavior using frames, timecode, ft+frames, and using
      "From Current Time" RAM previews.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

• 1. Re: frame counters during RAM preview and playback
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Why do you think that this should happen? Where did you get that information?

What you describe as actually occurring is what should occur. If you want a different behavior, then you should submit a feature request.

• 2. Re: frame counters during RAM preview and playback
            Why do you think that this should happen? Where did you get that information?

From this post by Mylenium yesterday,

RAM preview questions

• 3. Re: frame counters during RAM preview and playback
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The only thing that I see from Mylenium's answer that isn't showing up in your screenshots is the status message in the Info panel about what frame is currently being rendered for RAM preview. As you'll notice, a lot of things are whizzing by in the Info panel if you have the Show Rendering Progress In Info Panel And FLowchart preference selected. If you deselect that, then far less information gets written to the Info panel, so the status message about what frame is being rendered doesn't get displaced by the minutiae about which effect is being processed, etc.

Your question led me to believe that you were expecting much more, and in more places, including per-frame information during RAM preview playback (as opposed to RAM preview rendering).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: frame counters during RAM preview and playback

The question I posed was:
                2. Is there a way to display the number of  the frame that is currently
                being processed during the course of a RAM preview?

The answer was:
                >Info panel + timeline display set to frames.

Your tip to disable "Show Rendering Progress In Info Panel And Flowchart"
                is very helpful.  By unchecking the option, I do get a count of the currently
                rendering frame during RAM preview... thanks for that!
                It does seem a bit counter-intuitive to de-select this option in order to
                view what might be the most the pertinent information (the current frame)
                instead of "whizzing minutiae", but it does confirm I was missing something.

As for Mylenium's answer "timeline display set to frames", I can't seem
                to get a running count in the timeline display under any rendering
                or playback circumstance. I am a long-time Premiere user, and I was
                expecting the timeline counter in AE to behave in a similar manner by
                updating the current time during playback.

Is it the proper function for the timeline display to only update when parked?
                If yes, I can get used to it.  Again, I just want to know if I am missing something.

thanks

• 5. Re: frame counters during RAM preview and playback
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  I can't seem to get a running count in the timeline display under any rendering or playback circumstance

That doesn't happen.

• 6. Re: frame counters during RAM preview and playback

I appreciate your reply.

I am an experienced discreet fire/smoke/combustion user who is making
                    the transition to the AE way of doing things.  The lure of Dynamic Linking
                    instead of using Automatic Duck to cross platforms for comp work is the
                    feature that has finally brought me into the AE fold, and so far I like what
                    I see... very flexible and feature-rich, but with a fairly steep learning curve.

Conceptually the processes of compositing are identical,
                    but every software package has its own functional approach.
                    I am trying to avoid posting questions that make direct comparisons like:
                    "Why doesn't it work like x-program?"

Thanks to you and Mylenium for your patience and sharing your expertise.