6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2007 9:33 PM by nightsignals

saving as jpg - can't bring down file size

nightsignals
      Hi all!

I'm new here and facing a weird problem when saving a BMP as a JPEG file in Fireworks CS3.

The scanned image is ~94K. When I try to save that as JPEG, I go for 'Better Quality' with a quality of 80 in the options dialog. In the preview window, it's showing a size of 5.25 K. But after saving, I find a file with the size 17.6 K. And so far, I found no way to reduce the file size. Using the 'Optimize to size wizard' and entering a value of 7K for example, gives a file size of 19K as a result.

This is very weird, since other images are compressed fine to JPEG with Fireworks. Using Photoimpact or Paint.net to save it as JPEG works fine in both programs, the size is around 6 K with them.

It looks like FW is storing some other information in that image, for whatever reason.

Can please someone let me know what to do?

Thanks, René
        • 1. Re: saving as jpg - can't bring down file size
          Level 7
          Instead of using save or save as, export the file.

Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: saving as jpg - can't bring down file size
            Level 7
            nightsignals wrote:
            > Hi all!
            >
            > I'm new here and facing a weird problem when saving a BMP as a JPEG file in
            > Fireworks CS3.
            >
            > The scanned image is ~94K. When I try to save that as JPEG, I go for 'Better
            > Quality' with a quality of 80 in the options dialog. In the preview window,
            > it's showing a size of 5.25 K. But after saving, I find a file with the size
            > 17.6 K. And so far, I found no way to reduce the file size. Using the 'Optimize
            > to size wizard' and entering a value of 7K for example, gives a file size of
            > 19K as a result.
            >
            > This is very weird, since other images are compressed fine to JPEG with
            > Fireworks. Using Photoimpact or Paint.net to save it as JPEG works fine in both
            > programs, the size is around 6 K with them.
            >
            > It looks like FW is storing some other information in that image, for whatever
            > reason.
            >
            > Can please someone let me know what to do?
            >
            > Thanks, Ren?
            >
            >
            Are you "saving" the file or "exporting" the file? There is a
            difference. Saving the file maintains meta data for the file. Exporting
            strips the meta data, thus saving file space.

One other point I have discovered, if you DO save the file first within
            FW then try exporting it, FW seems to keep the meta data in the exported
            file. So if you are having this problem, close the file then reopen it
            and export it.

--
            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            Extending Knowledge, Daily
            http://www.communityMX.com/
            CommunityMX - Free Resources:
            http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
            ---
            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
            • 3. Re: saving as jpg - can't bring down file size
              nightsignals Level 1
              Thanks for the answers - exporting it obviously strips away the meta data and reduces the file size.

However, I'm confused now a bit about the optimal work flow, because when exporting the bmp to jpeg, I can't preview the result, since the Image Preview dialog is not coming up.

The way I found is:

1. Opening the image.bmp
              2. Save as image.jpg (With the Image Preview, but big files size because of the meta data)
              3. Exporting as image.jpg (Overwriting the image.jpg of step 2)
              4. Closing the image.jpg without saving (just from exporting, it appears as changed, and saving it would again overwrite the exported version with the bigger file)

Seems a bit unusual to me - can this process be streamlined?
              • 4. Re: saving as jpg - can't bring down file size
                Level 7
                nightsignals wrote:
                > Thanks for the answers - exporting it obviously strips away the meta data and
                > reduces the file size.
                >
                > However, I'm confused now a bit about the optimal work flow, because when
                > exporting the bmp to jpeg, I can't preview the result, since the Image Preview
                > dialog is not coming up.

Click on the Preview button at the top of the document window. Open the
                Optimize panel (Window > Optimize). Use the Optimize panel to create
                your optimization settings. When finished, choose File > Export.

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                • 5. Re: saving as jpg - can't bring down file size
                  Level 7
                  nightsignals wrote:
                  > Thanks for the answers - exporting it obviously strips away the meta data and
                  > reduces the file size.
                  >
                  > However, I'm confused now a bit about the optimal work flow, because when
                  > exporting the bmp to jpeg, I can't preview the result, since the Image Preview
                  > dialog is not coming up.
                  >
                  > The way I found is:
                  >
                  > 1. Opening the image.bmp
                  > 2. Save as image.jpg (With the Image Preview, but big files size because of
                  > the meta data)
                  > 3. Exporting as image.jpg (Overwriting the image.jpg of step 2)
                  > 4. Closing the image.jpg without saving (just from exporting, it appears as
                  > changed, and saving it would again overwrite the exported version with the
                  > bigger file)
                  >
                  > Seems a bit unusual to me - can this process be streamlined?
                  >
                  >

Don't "save as" a jpeg. If you want a file to maintain original quality,
                  save as a FW PNG. Then Export as jpeg. If you don't need that original
                  quality (or meta data), you can open the bmp and export it right away as
                  an optimized jpeg.

If you want to see how your optimize settings will affect the image, go
                  to the preview tab.

Also, if you open the bmp, you should be able to go right to File >
                  Image Preview and export the file, maintaining the optimized file size.
                  It's if you go to FILE > SAVE AS where the problem occurs.

--
                  Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                  Extending Knowledge, Daily
                  http://www.communityMX.com/
                  CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                  http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                  ---
                  .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                  news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                  news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                  • 6. Re: saving as jpg - can't bring down file size
                    nightsignals Level 1
                    ok - got it now! thanks for helping me!