6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 12:07 PM by PeteGould

Continuing migration from Avid to Premiere Pro.  How 'bout these functions..?

PeteGould Level 1

Hi folks,

Thanks for the continuing wisdom of this group as I continue migrating from an Avid system to Premiere.  These are some workflow questions and Premiere may or may not have equivalent functions - but it doesn't hurt to ask.  These are things I got used to in my workflow.  I can learn a different workflow in Premiere but first I'm looking for the simiarities and differences.  Unfortunately these functions are often called different things between products, making them hard to look up.

1) "Mark clip."  In the Avid, park your CTI anywhere within a clip in the timeline.  With a given track active, hit "mark clip."  In one keypress or mouse click this sets an In Point at beginning of that clip's appearance in the sequence and an Out Point at the end without having to go find the boundaries manually.

2) "Match frame."  Park the CTI in the sequence with a track active, hit Match Frame and the source clip will come up in the source window, cued to the same frame you're parked on in the sequence.

3) "Find bin."  If the sequence monitor is active this will highlight the sequence in the project window, showing what folder it's in.  If the source monitor is active it will instead highlight the clip that's currently loaded as source.

4) "Remove edit."  Say you previously used the knife (Avid would call it "add edit") to split a clip in the sequence.  Now, a number of edits later, you don't need the split there anymore.  In the Avid, you click on the seam between them and hit the delete key.  The Avid will recognize if these are contiguous points in the same clip and eliminate the cut, joining the clip back together seamlessly.  If it's anything else, hitting delete will have no effect.

5) In the color correction effect, you can correct several (potentially large numbers of) clips simultaneously.  If you set in and out points, for instance, you can correct all the clips between them identically with all the adjustments being made automatically as you make them on one clip.  Or you can identify clips as all coming from the same camera and the correction will apply to every clip in the sequence attributed to that camera (very useful for multicamera projects).

I'd appreciate any insight into how Premiere deals with some of these.

Thanks!

Pete

• 1. Re: Continuing migration from Avid to Premiere Pro.  How 'bout these functions..?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Pete,

The following are all defaults, but you can set up your own shortcuts by going to Edit > Keyboard Customization.

1. Mark Clip: Shift+/ (forward slash) marks the clip under the CTI on the targeted track; pressing just / (forward slash) marks a range of selected clips.
          2. Match Frame: M
          3. Find Bin: closest approximation would be Reveal In Project. No keyboard shortcut by default, but it is available by right-clicking a clip in a sequence.
          4. Remove Edit: no real approximation for this. You'd have to do it manually: delete the segment before or after the edit, and then drag out the head or tail of the remaining segment to fill the gap.
          5. No analog for this directly. Here are a few options:
            1. Set up the effect on one clip, copy the effect in the Effects Control Panel, and select all remaining clips and paste the effect.
            2. Set up the effect on one clip, copy the clip in the sequence, and select all remaining clips and paste attributes (Ctrl+Alt+V).
            3. Nest the clips (select all, right-click, Nest), and apply the CC effect to the nested sequence. This is somewhat akin to Collapse in Avid.
            4. For a multicam: just apply the effect to the angle that needs CC in the sync sequence. If you haven't done a multicam edit in Premiere yet, this will make more sense once you do.

Hope that helps a bit.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Continuing migration from Avid to Premiere Pro.  How 'bout these functions..?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This isn't a direct answer to your questions, since Colin has handled those nicely, but I wanted to make sure that you saw these resources for people transitioning from Avid to Premiere Pro.

Also, keep in mind that you can submit feature requests for any changes that you'd like to see.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Continuing migration from Avid to Premiere Pro.  How 'bout these functions..?
              PeteGould Level 1

Colin - thanks for the info - very helpful.

Todd - thanks for pointing me to the additional resources.

It's amazing how a product bundled into a suite for just a couple thousand bucks does virtually everything I paid over $100,000 for just a few years ago (and some things that product line doesn't!).

I do have two follow-up questions.

1) What do you consider the BEST resource for getting your arms completely around how to get the most mileage out of the suite functionality, i.e, dynamic linking between applications, bouncing between Premiere, AE, etc.?  (I don't mind paying for some books or self-help resources but I'd love to know what you've had good experiences with).

2) The Avid has an export option called a Reference file.  This exported file looks to other applications like a Quicktime or AVI file, depending on how you set it up, but it's really a set of pointers to the original media that make up the sequence.  So if you're using, for instance, a high-end software encoder for DVD (we use Cinemacraft, which I think does a better job than the built-in Adobe encoder), you don't need to export your entire sequence to another file and THEN bring that in to the DVD encoder.  You export a reference file which is a few hundred kilobytes.  Does anything like this exist in Premiere?

Thanks again,

Pete

• 4. Re: Continuing migration from Avid to Premiere Pro.  How 'bout these functions..?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Pete,

As far as the workflow between the various programs of the suite, honestly, the help documents are really all you need. It's sort of a "flip this switch, push that button" kind of a thing. The various applications themselves might be a different story: there are gobs of books and videos you can get for any one of them. I've never spent a nickel on any Premiere Pro training materials--my feeling is that if you can edit in one NLE, you can edit in another--but I've picked up a few books and videos for things like After Effects and Illustrator, simply because there are not parallels to those. For some of the applications, the cross-application workflow is pretty simple: save a file, and import it into Premiere. For other workflows--particularly those built around Dynamic Link--Adobe has done a good job of making the process to set up a DL pretty easy. For example, you can just drag an AE comp from AE to Premiere--bam. Done. Each of the help documents for the applications has a section called Cross-application workflows (that's Premiere's) that gives you the nuts and bolts of connecting the applications. How you use those creatively is up to you...

Alas, I miss the QuickTime Reference file--nothing like that built into the Adobe apps, unfortunately. Thankfully, there is hope: Debugmode Frameserver for CS5 available now.

• 5. Re: Continuing migration from Avid to Premiere Pro.  How 'bout these functions..?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> 1) What do you consider the BEST resource for getting your arms completely around how to get the most mileage out of the suite functionality, i.e, dynamic linking between applications, bouncing between Premiere, AE, etc.?  (I don't mind paying for some books or self-help resources but I'd love to know what you've had good experiences with).

There's some information about Premiere Pro<->After Effects integration in the Classroom in a Book.

Maxim Jago also spends quite a bit of time on in his Premiere Pro for Avid Editors and Getting Started with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5: Learn By Video. Maxim's resources are my favorite comprehensive resources outside of Premiere Pro Help.

(Full disclosure: I worked on the book that accompanies Maxim's Learn By Video training, and I also recorded half of the training for After Effects in the same series.)

• 6. Re: Continuing migration from Avid to Premiere Pro.  How 'bout these functions..?
                    PeteGould Level 1

Many thanks to both of you for the ongoing help and for your patience in supplying answers that may seem obvious.  This is quite a culture shock and I'm having to hit the ground running, so this board and your help have been a Godsend.

Pete