12 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2015 1:23 PM by PinkLipstick

Extension Manager will not open and Adobe doesn't care

jimns

Just search on “extension manager will not open” in the Adobe Forums or Google and pages of hits come up going back to CS4. This is a serious problem that Adobe is simply ignoring.

I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Design Premium CS5 installed. Nothing happens when I click on Manage Extensions from within any Adobe application, nothing happens when I click on Adobe Extension Manager CS5 on the start menu, and nothing happens when I double click on a .mxp file. No error messages – nothing.

So I had a free couple of hours and decided to call Adobe. Six hours later, after talking with Raj, Peenal, Tushar, Madhur, and Sandeep (get the picture?), after noting that none of them had ever even heard of the problem, after my call was dropped during one 30 minute wait, and after a complete uninstall and reinstall of the complete CS5, I have exactly the same problem I started with.

For my purposes, Design Premium CS5 is literally useless without extensions and Adobe has left me holding a $1500 boat anchor. Do you think anybody at Adobe cares?  I don’t.

Bottom line - DO NOT BUY Design Premium CS5 if you need extensions. They very possibly will not install and Adobe won't/can't help you.

• 1. Re: Extension Manager will not open and Adobe doesn't care
          Carl Sun Level 4

1. Please start task manager, check whether "Adobe Extension Manager CS5.exe*32" is listed in Processes tab page.
          2. Please check whether "Adobe AIR" has been installed in your machine. You can try to reinstall Adobe AIR.
          3. At the first launch, Extension Manager will try to create some sub-folders under product specific folders for DreamWeaver/Photoshop/...etc.  You need have write privilege to such folders. Are you log on as administrator? You can also right click Extension Manager and select "Run as administrator".
          4. You can generate log files and paste log information here. So other people can help you troubleshooting. The steps to generate log files are as follows: Create a file named “ExManLog.YES” in the same folder as "Adobe Extension Manager CS5.exe", then run Extension Manager. You should find log files in "C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS5".

• 2. Re: Extension Manager will not open and Adobe doesn't care
            Zhiqiang Liu Level 1

Hi,

Please ignore the step 2 in the above description. Extension Manager doesn't depend on the AIR runtime.

• 3. Re: Extension Manager problem solved (Adobe still doesn't care)
              jimns Level 1

Thanks to Carl Sun and Zhiqianq Liu, my problem with Extension Manager is resolved (the problem with Adobe support is not).

I followed Carl's Sun's instructions to the letter. I created a ExManLog.YES file and then manually ran Adobe Extension Manager CS5.exe via "Run as administrator" as Carl suggested and the Extension Manager ran for the first time.

In other words, either creating the ExManLog.YES file (unlikely) or manually running the .exe file as administrator (most certainly the solution) solved the problem.

Running, rerunning, rebooting and rerunning all work now – all without right clicking on Adobe Extension Manager CS5.exe before running Extension Manager. That is, it was apparently sufficient to right click on Adobe Extension Manager CS5.exe and then run the Extension Manager as administrator one time.

Now what's diabolical about this is that my user has full administrator privileges. Still, Extension Manager wasn’t actually running as administrator until I physically located the .exe file and manually ran it as administrator one time.

And what’s doubly diabolical is that all those guys at Adobe didn’t have a clue and Carl and Zhiqianq solved it right away.

Thank you, thank you.

Now – Adobe – if you are reading this, five of you guys caused me six hours of untold grief (case # 182188172) when the solution was actually very simple. I won’t be forgetting that anytime soon and I hope others who read this will get the message that Adobe support is seriously dysfunctional.

• 4. Re: Extension Manager problem solved (Adobe still doesn't care)
                Harbs. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

FYI,

Both Carl Sun and Zhiqianq Liu are Adobe employees (answering on the forum on their own time).

So "guys at Adobe" are not so bad after all!

Harbs

• 5. Re: Extension Manager problem solved (Adobe support still doesn't care)
                  jimns Level 1

I definitely agree about the regular "guys at Adobe" being OK. It's the support "guys at Adobe" that seem to be the problem.

• 6. Re: Extension Manager problem solved (Adobe still doesn't care)
                    Carl Sun Level 4

You can delete ExManLog.YES now. This file is only for troubleshooting purpose. Generating log files will make the startup time about one second longer.

Microsoft introduced new User Account Control (UAC) technology in Vista and Windows 7. ONLY "Trusted Installer" account has complete privilege on the computer. Although you are administrator, this doesn't mean that every applications you run will have admin privilege automatically. Instead, the application has admin privilege only when you select "Run as administrator".

• 7. Re: Extension Manager problem solved (Adobe still doesn't care)
                      jimns Level 1

Thank you, I did delete that file.

What's odd about the privileges is that it is apparently only necessary that the Extension Manager be run one time as administrator. After that it is no longer necessary. Apparently running as administrator one time changes the ownership to allow my user, which has administrative privileges, to be included among the file's owners.

Thank you again, Carl.

• 8. Re: Extension Manager will not open and Adobe doesn't care
                        topcreations

I am on Win7 and the log files has only 3 lines

[DEBUG] Thu Mar 31 19:27:26 2011 (d:\extensionmanager_5.0_win\20100305.m.298\trelo\source\manager\win\owlmain.cpp,941) -OWL environment initializd OK
                        [DEBUG] Thu Mar 31 19:27:26 2011 (d:\extensionmanager_5.0_win\20100305.m.298\trelo\source\manager\win\owlmain.cpp,944) -C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Extension Manager CS5
                        [FATAL] Thu Mar 31 19:27:26 2011 (d:\extensionmanager_5.0_win\20100305.m.298\trelo\source\manager\win\owlmain.cpp,982) -Failure to create SWf window

Tried every possible solution that exists. I have run both the installation and the Adobe Extension Manager CS5.exe as Admin

Please, some official help?

• 9. Re: Extension Manager will not open and Adobe doesn't care
                          Carl Sun Level 4

Please restart your computer then retry. I guess there has been a failed Extension Manager process in memory, which prevent you from rerunning Extension Manager. You can check it in task manager, and kill this process if it does exist.

• 10. Re: Extension Manager will not open and Adobe doesn't care
                            topcreations Level 1

I have restarted the PC many times but the problem was not solved...

• 11. Re: Extension Manager will not open and Adobe doesn't care
                              radama1

I am on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit operating system on HP ProBook 4720s with XPMode in Virtual PC activated
                              I run Adobe Extension Manager CS5.exe as Admin and the log files has only 3 lines

[DEBUG] Sat Apr 16 10:33:53 2011 (d:\extensionmanager_5.0.1_win\20110110.5_0_1.334\trelo\source\manager\win\owlmain.cpp,94 1) -OWL environment initializd OK
                              [DEBUG] Sat Apr 16 10:33:53 2011 (d:\extensionmanager_5.0.1_win\20110110.5_0_1.334\trelo\source\manager\win\owlmain.cpp,94 4) -C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Extension Manager CS5
                              [FATAL] Sat Apr 16 10:33:53 2011 (d:\extensionmanager_5.0.1_win\20110110.5_0_1.334\trelo\source\manager\win\owlmain.cpp,98 2) -Failure to create SWf window

I noticed that the drive d: doesn't exist on my computer; there was only Local Disk (C:) and HP_TOOLS (F:)
                              I have installed Adobe Creative Suite CS5 in Windows XP Mode in Virtual PC and Adobe Extension Manager CS5 runs OK but I am in Windows XP pro SP3 not in Windows 7 Professional x64

How do I make to run Adobe Creative Suite CS5 correctly in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit operating system

• 12. Re: Extension Manager will not open and Adobe doesn't care
                                PinkLipstick

sorry but i am not like a genius with computers but how do i create ExManLog.YES? do i make a text file or what do i do. im so confused